Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Evacuation alert lifted as wildfire in northeastern B.C. now 'held'

Evacuation alert lifted as wildfire in northeastern B.C. now 'held'
An evacuation alert for residents in areas around Chetwynd, B.C., has been lifted just days after a wildfire forced some residents from their homes.

Evacuation alert lifted as wildfire in northeastern B.C. now 'held'

Alberta to pilot new social studies curriculum in the fall after facing blowback

Alberta to pilot new social studies curriculum in the fall after facing blowback
The Alberta government says a draft social studies curriculum for elementary schools is ready for classroom-testing this fall, but the teachers’ union says the program is flawed and needs to be delayed.  

Alberta to pilot new social studies curriculum in the fall after facing blowback

15-year hunting ban and $10K penalty for man who baited, killed B.C. grizzly

15-year hunting ban and $10K penalty for man who baited, killed B.C. grizzly
The B.C. Conservation Officer Service says a man has been fined $10,000 and banned from hunting for 15 years for illegally killing a grizzly bear near Elkford, B.C.

15-year hunting ban and $10K penalty for man who baited, killed B.C. grizzly

RCMP respond to head-on crash after woman drives wrong way down Highway 99

RCMP respond to head-on crash after woman drives wrong way down Highway 99
Mounties in Surrey, B.C., say a woman is in the hospital with possible life-threatening injuries after driving the wrong way down Highway 99 and crashing into oncoming traffic.

RCMP respond to head-on crash after woman drives wrong way down Highway 99

Man arrested in death of 71-year-old Richmond, B.C., woman

Man arrested in death of 71-year-old Richmond, B.C., woman
British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says it is investigating after a woman was found dead in her Richmond home.

Man arrested in death of 71-year-old Richmond, B.C., woman

Retailer London Drugs closes stores in Western Canada due to 'cybersecurity incident'

Retailer London Drugs closes stores in Western Canada due to 'cybersecurity incident'
London Drugs says it has temporarily closed all of its stores in Western Canada as it grapples with a "cybersecurity incident."

Retailer London Drugs closes stores in Western Canada due to 'cybersecurity incident'