Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta municipalities say proposed provincial law would create chill effect

Alberta municipalities say proposed provincial law would create chill effect
The organization representing Alberta's cities, towns and villages says a bill that would grant the province sweeping new powers over local governments is creating an atmosphere of fear.

Alberta municipalities say proposed provincial law would create chill effect

Teachers union joins bid to have Supreme Court rule on Quebec religious symbols ban

Teachers union joins bid to have Supreme Court rule on Quebec religious symbols ban
A major Quebec teachers union says it will follow the lead of the English Montreal School Board and seek to challenge the province's secularism law before the Supreme Court of Canada.

Teachers union joins bid to have Supreme Court rule on Quebec religious symbols ban

Sikh rally in Toronto with multi-party support prompts India diplomatic rebuke

Sikh rally in Toronto with multi-party support prompts India diplomatic rebuke
India has summoned Canada's envoy in New Delhi following a large Sikh rally in Toronto attended by all three major federal party leaders.

Sikh rally in Toronto with multi-party support prompts India diplomatic rebuke

International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September

International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September
International students will be able to work off-campus for up to 24 hours per week starting in September, Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced Monday. 

International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September

Trudeau says he will help keep jobs local for EV projects

Trudeau says he will help keep jobs local for EV projects
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his Liberal government will do everything it can to make sure most jobs linked to electric vehicle projects in Canada will stay locally.

Trudeau says he will help keep jobs local for EV projects

Eby deplores 'most hateful' speech praising Hamas attack, as UBC protest camp begins

Eby deplores 'most hateful' speech praising Hamas attack, as UBC protest camp begins
British Columbia Premier David Eby and other politicians have denounced remarks at a demonstration in Vancouver where protesters chanted "long live Oct. 7," praising that day's attacks by Hamas on Israel.

Eby deplores 'most hateful' speech praising Hamas attack, as UBC protest camp begins