Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary
The mayors of Alberta's two biggest cities say the province has pulled $12 million in funding meant to help low-income residents access public transit.

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary

Residential Schools Lawsuit

Residential Schools Lawsuit
The lawyer for a residential school survivor leading a proposed class-action lawsuit against the Catholic Church and one of its priests says legal action is a fallback to get everyone to come together and resolve the issue.

Residential Schools Lawsuit

B.C. secures eight new sites for middle-income rental housing scheme

B.C. secures eight new sites for middle-income rental housing scheme
British Columbia has secured eight new sites for its BC Builds program, in which land owned by the province, non-profits or community groups is pre-zoned to build middle-income rental housing.

B.C. secures eight new sites for middle-income rental housing scheme

Canada Revenue Agency to audit Saskatchewan for not paying carbon levies: Moe

Canada Revenue Agency to audit Saskatchewan for not paying carbon levies: Moe
The Canada Revenue Agency is going to audit Saskatchewan for not paying carbon levies on home heating, Premier Scott Moe said Monday.

Canada Revenue Agency to audit Saskatchewan for not paying carbon levies: Moe

'We are serious': Alberta government's master plan to expand rail passenger service

'We are serious': Alberta government's master plan to expand rail passenger service
The Alberta government has announced a master plan aimed at increasing passenger rail service in the province.

'We are serious': Alberta government's master plan to expand rail passenger service

Judge to decide on approving $9.5M-settlement in Stampede abuse class-action lawsuit

Judge to decide on approving $9.5M-settlement in Stampede abuse class-action lawsuit
A Calgary judge will determine in June if he will approve a proposed settlement for complainants in a class-action lawsuit that alleged the Calgary Stampede allowed a performance school staffer to sexually abuse young boys. 

Judge to decide on approving $9.5M-settlement in Stampede abuse class-action lawsuit