Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. funds project to extract minerals, metals while reducing environmental impacts

B.C. funds project to extract minerals, metals while reducing environmental impacts
The British Columbia government is funding a pilot project that it says offers the mining industry a path to significantly reduce the environmental impacts of extracting critical minerals. A statement from the province says Vancouver-based PH7 Technologies Inc. has developed a "closed-loop" process using chemistry to extract and refine critical minerals and help the industry transition to renewable energy.

B.C. funds project to extract minerals, metals while reducing environmental impacts

Richmond businesses fraud

Richmond businesses fraud
A police statement says the businesses have lost tens of thousands of dollars. The Mounties say the fraudsters appear to be intercepting and cashing cheques from the businesses that are being mailed using a nearby Canada Post mailbox.

Richmond businesses fraud

B.C. to add 500 public electric vehicle charging stations to fill gaps in network

B.C. to add 500 public electric vehicle charging stations to fill gaps in network
Drivers of electric vehicles in British Columbia can expect another 500 public charging stations to come online, adding to more than 5,000 available across the province. A statement from the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation says it's providing $30 million from this year's budget to expand B.C.'s "electric highway."

B.C. to add 500 public electric vehicle charging stations to fill gaps in network

B.C. funds 2,000 new affordable homes for renters in Metro Vancouver

B.C. funds 2,000 new affordable homes for renters in Metro Vancouver
Premier David Eby made the announcement at a construction site in Surrey, B.C., on Tuesday, saying the latest intake of the Building BC Community Housing Fund will bring new homes to every region in the province.

B.C. funds 2,000 new affordable homes for renters in Metro Vancouver

Stabbing on bus in Surrey

Stabbing on bus in Surrey
Surrey RCMP are looking for a man who allegedly stabbed a person on a transit bus in the city. They say officers responded to find a man in his 20s suffering from stab wounds and he was transported to the hospital.

Stabbing on bus in Surrey

Alleged assault at Guildford Mall

Alleged assault at Guildford Mall
Mounties say firefighters called them to an event at Surrey’s Guildford Town Centre on Saturday night for a possible assault. They say officers were attempting to determine what had happened when a fight broke out.

Alleged assault at Guildford Mall