Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford's Jaspreet Singh charged with second-degree murder in wife's death

Abbotsford's Jaspreet Singh charged with second-degree murder in wife's death
HIT says in a news release that officers from the Abbotsford Police Department responded to a report of an assault at a home in the city on Friday night. They arrived to find a woman, who has now been identified as 41-year-old Balwinder Kaur, suffering from life-threatening stab wounds inside the home.  

Abbotsford's Jaspreet Singh charged with second-degree murder in wife's death

Will Ottawa meet its fiscal target? Economists split as deficit tracks higher

Will Ottawa meet its fiscal target? Economists split as deficit tracks higher
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has pledged that the government will meet its fiscal targets in the upcoming federal budget, but economists say achieving that goal will be challenging as the deficit tracks higher. Amid mounting pressure to rein in spending, the Liberals unveiled new fiscal guardrails in the fall that aim to limit deficits. Among the government's promises was that this year's deficit will not exceed $40.1 billion.

Will Ottawa meet its fiscal target? Economists split as deficit tracks higher

B.C. to kill 25 deer to test for chronic wasting disease in Kootenay region

B.C. to kill 25 deer to test for chronic wasting disease in Kootenay region
The B.C. government says it will cull 25 deer in the Kootenay region to test for chronic wasting disease. The Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says two deer in the region tested positive for the disease earlier this year. 

B.C. to kill 25 deer to test for chronic wasting disease in Kootenay region

Surrey mayor taking Province to court over policing

Surrey mayor taking Province to court over policing
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke says the city's legal team is still preparing for a courtroom showdown with the provincial government over policing in the city, with a court date set for April 29th.  Locke says the city is still in talks with the province, but she says she can't share any inside details about the discussions. 

Surrey mayor taking Province to court over policing

Calm in housing market this spring

Calm in housing market this spring
The B-C Real Estate Association says the province's housing market is staying relatively calm this spring. The association says sales were up more than 15 per cent last month compared to February 2023.

Calm in housing market this spring

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather
The British Columbia government says farmers will get an extra $70 million to replant and strengthen fruit orchards and vineyards after two years of weather-related disasters. Premier David Eby says the funding will boost the province's existing $15 million Perennial Crop Renewal Program, launched last spring to help more than 200 farmers replace diseased and unproductive plants.

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather