Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby
Premier David Eby says social media companies can't be let "off the hook" after two B.C. teens died by suicide shortly after falling victim to online sextortion scams. Eby's comments came one day after Surrey RCMP announced a man in Nigeria has been arrested and charged in one of those cases following a lengthy international investigation.

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board
High-risk B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley, who went on the run for 10 days in November, will still be allowed overnight community leave with the approval of his parole officer, after the parole board decided not to impose new restrictions. Premier David Eby says he "can't fathom" the ruling and it isn't acceptable that Hopley, who abducted a three-year-old boy in 2011, has been "released again with the same conditions."  

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians
Gagan Ajit Singh, Anmoldeep Singh, Hashmeet Kaur, Iymanjot Kaur, and Arundeep Thind  have been charged with  mischief to property, threats, and firearms-related offences.  

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash
Two trucking firms say the B.C. government wrongly concluded they were "one operation" after an overpass crash last December, and want a court to let them both back on the province's road.  B.C.-based Chohan Freight Forwarders Ltd. and Alberta-based Chohan Group Ltd. say in B.C. Supreme Court petitions that they're separate legal entities but have a family connection. 

B.C. and Alberta trucking firms ask court to lift bans imposed after overpass crash

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall
A 23-year-old Indo-Canadian has been sentenced to more than two years in prison for carrying a loaded "ghost gun" at a mall in the country's British Columbia province. Arunjit Singh Virk, who was arrested in March 2021, was also prohibited from possessing any firearm, restricted weapon, or ammunition for 10 years, Ontario-based CTV News reported on Tuesday.

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre confirmed Wednesday that he's opposed to allowing the use of puberty blockers on children. Poilievre made the comment during a barrage of media questions about his views on gender-affirming medical treatments for transgender youth.   

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people