Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples
Police have laid drug-trafficking charges after a man allegedly handed out business cards with free samples of cocaine in Calgary. Officers patrolling a downtown casino became aware of the cards on Christmas Eve after they were given out to patrons.

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza
Canada's immigration minister is "pissed off" that a list of people related to Canadians are being blocked from leaving the embattled Gaza Strip, he said Wednesday.  Ottawa started accepting applications last month to reunite as many as 1,000 people in the Palestinian territory with extended family members in Canada.

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in
The Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P is asking the driver of a 2000s white Toyota hatchback to turn themselves in after being involved in a hit and run last month.  Police say the vehicle hit a pedestrian on January 26th in Maple Ridge.  

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest
British Columbia's housing minster says the province needs to shift away from accommodating vulnerable people in privately owned rooming hotels — but it won't be fast or cheap. Ravi Kahlon's remarks come after the jury in a coroner's inquest into the deadly 2022 Winters Hotel fire in Vancouver made more than two dozen safety recommendations on Monday.  

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest

Street cleaning grants for Vancouver

Street cleaning grants for Vancouver
The City of Vancouver has approved 2.64-million-dollars in grants in support of street-cleaning programs this year. The grants support programs that supplement street-cleaning work completed by City crews and have been active for 24 years.

Street cleaning grants for Vancouver

B.C. Crown counsel group raises safety concerns, Eby says no move for courthouse

B.C. Crown counsel group raises safety concerns, Eby says no move for courthouse
Premier David Eby says the government is not currently considering the relocation of a provincial courthouse in downtown Vancouver, where the president of the British Columbia Crown Counsel Association says safety concerns are on the rise. A statement from Adam Dalrymple says a recent attack on a prosecutor near the courthouse at 222 Main St. underscores the need for a "serious discussion" about whether it should be moved away from the Downtown Eastside.

B.C. Crown counsel group raises safety concerns, Eby says no move for courthouse