Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors
A North Vancouver man has pleaded guilty to one count of theft after an investigation found he stole more than one-million-dollars from nine investors. A statement from B-C Securities Commission says the 55-year-old man was arrested in October 2022 and remains on bail, entering the guilty plea last week with sentencing scheduled for early May.

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George
Cameron Stolz is the new owner of the 108-year-old Prince George Citizen after buying the paper from Glacier Media. Stolz, a businessman who owns a toy and comics store, said he entered talks to buy the weekly newspaper last November after outlets in Fort St. John and Dawson Creek closed, followed soon after by the newspaper in Kamloops.

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups
British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson is stepping down over her remarks that modern Israel was founded on "a crappy piece of land," after her repeated apologies failed to quell the outcry from pro-Palestinian groups and others. Premier David Eby said Robinson's "belittling" remarks were incompatible with her remaining in cabinet, although she will stay in the NDP caucus.

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital
On Friday, just after 1:30pm, Surrey RCMP received a report of shots fired in the 8400 block of 120 Street.  Frontline officers attended the scene and located a man who appeared to be suffering from gunshot wounds. The victim was transported to hospital with serious injuries.

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer
Researchers say a deadly disease starts out slow but has the potential to devastate British Columbia's deer population over time, after the discovery of the first cases in the province. The concerns come after the B.C. government confirmed two cases of chronic wasting disease found in animals south of Cranbrook in the Kootenay region.

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict
The father of a murdered 13-year-old girl did not bring a gun into a Vancouver courtroom eight weeks ago, on the day Ibrahim Ali was convicted of the killing, the man's lawyer has told a B.C. Supreme Court judge. Brock Martland, who represents the father, said it's an "unfounded proposition" that Ali's lawyers have repeated several times, aiming to exclude the man from post-trial proceedings on safety grounds.

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict