Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Shots fired at B.C. home of Sikh activist, an associate of slain Nijjar, group says

Shots fired at B.C. home of Sikh activist, an associate of slain Nijjar, group says
Surrey RCMP say multiple shots were fired at a home in the 2800 block of 154 Street in Surrey at 1:21 a.m. in what is believed to be an isolated incident. Gurpatwant Singh Pannun with the group Sikhs For Justice says the home belongs to an member of the movement who is an associate of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, who was killed in a shooting last June that triggered a diplomatic row with India.

Shots fired at B.C. home of Sikh activist, an associate of slain Nijjar, group says

Global Affairs Canada investigating 'malicious' cyberattack and data breach

Global Affairs Canada investigating 'malicious' cyberattack and data breach
Global Affairs Canada announced Tuesday it is investigating a cyberattack and data breach that has forced it to limit remote access to its networks. The department said in a statement, which confirmed earlier media reports, that early results from the investigation found someone accessed the personal information of employees.

Global Affairs Canada investigating 'malicious' cyberattack and data breach

B.C. Health Minister says investment in nuclear medicine will expand cancer care

B.C. Health Minister says investment in nuclear medicine will expand cancer care
The British Columbia government is spending $32 million in advancement of nuclear medicine, to operate imaging equipment for cancer diagnosis and to expand research.  The announcement comes just two years after a worldwide shortage of isotopes used in medical imaging machines that detect and monitor cancers. 

B.C. Health Minister says investment in nuclear medicine will expand cancer care

Five Canadians facing extradition to the U.S. for involvement in drug-smuggling ring

Five Canadians facing extradition to the U.S. for involvement in drug-smuggling ring
According to U.S. authorities, Scoppa, 55, is alleged to have bought massive quantities of cocaine and other drugs on a wholesale basis. In addition to Scoppa, the Mounties arrested Ivan Gravel Gonzalez, 32, of Trois-Rivières, Que., Ayush Sharma, 25, and Guramrit Sidhu, 60, of Brampton, Ont., and Subham Kumar, 29, of Calgary. One of the indictments says Sidhu allegedly purchased kilograms of methamphetamine from suppliers in Mexico and Los Angeles. 

Five Canadians facing extradition to the U.S. for involvement in drug-smuggling ring

Champagne says he's working phones to court new players for Canadian grocery market

Champagne says he's working phones to court new players for Canadian grocery market
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne is once again insisting that he is reaching out to international grocers in the hopes they will open up shop in Canada and spur more competition. Champagne said Tuesday that he'd spoken to one foreign grocer that very morning as part of his efforts to court new players for the Canadian grocery sector  — but he's not naming any names. 

Champagne says he's working phones to court new players for Canadian grocery market

Canada sends $40M for Palestinians in Gaza, as Liberal MP decries UNRWA freeze

Canada sends $40M for Palestinians in Gaza, as Liberal MP decries UNRWA freeze
Canada is sending another $40 million in aid to organizations that are helping people in the Gaza Strip after pausing funding to the UN's relief agency for Palestinians — with one Liberal MP saying it's doubtful other groups will be as effective. The funding top-up, bringing the total commitment to $100 million, comes as Ottawa condemns what it calls "inflammatory rhetoric" from Israeli government officials about the forced displacement of those who live in the besieged territory. 

Canada sends $40M for Palestinians in Gaza, as Liberal MP decries UNRWA freeze