Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested
R-C-M-P say a suspect in a fatal shooting in Surrey in 2022 has been arrested in Ontario. Police say a 20-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man were injured in the February 2022 shooting, and the man -- Juvraj Jabal of Surrey -- later died in hospital   

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested

B.C. power line cut access to Highway 99 to and from U.S. border for hours

B.C. power line cut access to Highway 99 to and from U.S. border for hours
A power line that fell over Highway 99 in Surrey, B.C., cut off a key route to and from the U.S. Peace Arch Border Crossing for nearly three hours on Thursday. BC Hydro, the Crown power utility, says a vehicle crashed into a power pole, bringing the line down across both directions of the highway.   

B.C. power line cut access to Highway 99 to and from U.S. border for hours

Community in Crisis A Surge in Local Crime and Safety Concerns

Community in Crisis A Surge in Local Crime and Safety Concerns
In the heart of Surrey's bustling business district, a sense of unease has settled following a series of alarming incidents that have gripped the community. The seemingly business-as-usual surroundings of the Payal Business Centre, home to a myriad of South Asian businesses, have been marred by a recent surge in criminal activities, raising concerns among residents and entrepreneurs alike.

Community in Crisis A Surge in Local Crime and Safety Concerns

Darpan 10 With Honourable Mike Farnworth, Minister Of Public Safety And Solicitor General

Darpan 10 With Honourable Mike Farnworth, Minister Of Public Safety And Solicitor General
Public Safety has been an ongoing topic in the news with the recent spate of gun violence South of the Fraser. In Darpan 10, Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General for BC, The Honourable Mike Farnworth sheds light on crime, Surrey RCMP vs SPS saga, and the future of policing in Surrey. 

Darpan 10 With Honourable Mike Farnworth, Minister Of Public Safety And Solicitor General

Hunger on the Rise Canadian Food Banks in High Demand

Hunger on the Rise Canadian Food Banks in High Demand
Earlier this year, there were an unprecedented 1.9 million visits to food banks in Canada. This is a 32% increase from 2022 and a 78% increase since before the pandemic. Unsurprisingly, food banks are approaching 2024 with growing concerns as the sustained increase in demand places additional strain on their resources and capacities.

Hunger on the Rise Canadian Food Banks in High Demand

BC snowmobiler dead

BC snowmobiler dead
Police in eastern British Columbia are warning backcountry users to be ready for emergencies after a snowmobiler was killed and two skiers had to be rescued this week in separate incidents. RCMP in the Golden-Field detachment say the death happened on Jan. 21 when a snowmobile driven by a 24-year-old man left the trail down a steep embankment and hit some trees.

BC snowmobiler dead