Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says a second Trump presidency would be trouble for Canada

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says a second Trump presidency would be trouble for Canada
Former U.S. president Donald Trump is an "egomaniac" operating in his own world, argues federal New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, saying if he makes it back to the White House it could spell trouble for Canada. During the NDP's caucus retreat in Edmonton, Singh said Trump operates in his own league. He likened him to an egomaniac who is seeking vengeance on his political enemies.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says a second Trump presidency would be trouble for Canada

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital
Six people died in a plane crash near the town of Fort Smith, while a lone survivor was taken to hospital, the Northwest Territories coroner's office said Wednesday. Four passengers and two crew members from Northwestern Air Lease were killed on the Tuesday morning flight headed to the Diavik Diamond Mine, some 300 kilometres northeast of Yellowknife, the coroner's office said in a written statement.

Six dead in N.W.T. plane crash, one survivor taken to hospital

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run
Mounties in Chilliwack say a man is dead after a hit-and-run collision last week. Chilliwack R-C-M-P says officers found an unresponsive male lying on the side of the road on January 18th after receiving a report. 

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP
One man is dead after what police believe was a targeted shooting overnight in Metro Vancouver. Police say officers responded to reports of a shooting in the 5500 block of Kingsway in Burnaby on Tuesday at 10:30 p.m.

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks
The Bank of Canada is turning its attention to when it may be able to start cutting interest rates, governor Tiff Macklem said Wednesday as he announced the central bank's decision to hold its key rate at five per cent. The Bank of Canada’s decision to maintain its key rate comes as no surprise. Weaker economic growth along with slowing inflation has allowed the central bank to hold its policy rate steady and monitor how the economy is responding to higher rates.    

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India
The federal commission of inquiry into foreign interference is looking to examine alleged meddling by India in the last two general elections. In a statement today, the commission says it has asked the federal government to produce documentation related to these allegations.  

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India