Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes
The Labour Relations Board has scheduled hearings today and tomorrow in the industrial dispute that paralyzed Metro Vancouver bus services this week. Bus and SeaBus services resumed this morning after the end of the 48-hour strike by more than 180 transit supervisors represented by Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 4500.  

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes

Over 111K seized in New Westminster

Over 111K seized in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster say a recent traffic stop led to the seizure of more than 111-thousand dollars in cash, and drugs with a street value of about 100-thousand dollars. They say officers with its Gang Suppression Unit pulled over a suspicious vehicle last Thursday and arrested the driver, who was prohibited from driving.  

Over 111K seized in New Westminster

Cyclist stabbed in Victoria

Cyclist stabbed in Victoria
Officers in Victoria say they’ve arrested a man accused of randomly stabbing a cyclist outside police headquarters. Investigators say the victim was passing by this morning when they were approached by the suspect and slashed with a knife.

Cyclist stabbed in Victoria

Passenger airplane crashes in Northwest Territories, injuries unknown

Passenger airplane crashes in Northwest Territories, injuries unknown
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says a plane that crashed near Fort Smith, N.W.T., was a British Aerospace Jetstream registered to Northwestern Air Lease. The airline's website says it has two of the planes in its fleet that can carry 19 passengers. There is no word on how many people were on the plane that crashed, or if there are any injuries or fatalities.  

Passenger airplane crashes in Northwest Territories, injuries unknown

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say
Police were investigating a shooting Tuesday at Edmonton City Hall, where a Molotov cocktail was also thrown from the building's second floor. Police said no injuries were reported. Officers arrested one person and were doing a sweep of the building. 

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh kicks off caucus retreat with pitch for next election

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh kicks off caucus retreat with pitch for next election
Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is making a pitch to Canadians that his party is a viable alternative to the Liberals or Conservatives when voters to the ballot box in the next federal election. Singh kicked off his party's caucus retreat in Edmonton today with the simple message that New Democrats can be trusted.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh kicks off caucus retreat with pitch for next election