Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP arrest stolen car suspect in Nelson, B.C., after officer hurt in road block

RCMP arrest stolen car suspect in Nelson, B.C., after officer hurt in road block
Police say a 42-year-old man from Trail, B.C., has been arrested after allegedly driving a stolen vehicle that hit three police cars and injured an officer at a roadblock. Mounties say an officer in Salmo, B.C., saw a stolen Toyota Tundra on Tuesday and tried to stop the vehicle, but the suspect sped away.  

RCMP arrest stolen car suspect in Nelson, B.C., after officer hurt in road block

Surrey RCMP launches new tool to spread awareness about gang violence

Surrey RCMP launches new tool to spread awareness about gang violence
R-C-M-P in Surrey are using a new tool to educate young people about gang violence in the hopes of discouraging their involvement in them. Officers from the Mounties' gang enforcement team will be sharing a new video specifically created for Surrey youth during school presentations.

Surrey RCMP launches new tool to spread awareness about gang violence

Suspect wanted in Victoria restaurant arson

Suspect wanted in Victoria restaurant arson
Police in Victoria are looking for help in identifying a suspect wanted in an arson that damaged a local restaurant. They say fire broke out the early morning hours of June 16th at a restaurant on Douglas Street, resulting in damages estimated at between 1.5-million to two-million-dollars.  

Suspect wanted in Victoria restaurant arson

Patrol increase in Maple Ridge due to thefts

Patrol increase in Maple Ridge due to thefts
Mounties in Maple Ridge say they'll be increasing patrols in the downtown core after an uptick in break and enters and thefts. The Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P say the slight increase has been seen over the last month.  

Patrol increase in Maple Ridge due to thefts

B.C. hospital admissions break record as respiratory illness season nears peak

B.C. hospital admissions break record as respiratory illness season nears peak
British Columbia's health minister says hospitals are dealing with a record number of in-patients as the province's respiratory illness season nears its peak. Health Minister Adrian Dix told a briefing that 10,435 people were in hospital as of Tuesday night, the most the province has ever seen, and many have respiratory illnesses.

B.C. hospital admissions break record as respiratory illness season nears peak

Conservatives call for ethics probe into Justin Trudeau's free Jamaican holiday stay

Conservatives call for ethics probe into Justin Trudeau's free Jamaican holiday stay
Conservative MP and ethics critic Michael Barrett sent a letter to Konrad von Finckenstein on Tuesday asking whether he knew Trudeau was staying at a luxury estate owned by a family friend. Barrett says the vacation is "not the equivalent of staying at a friend's home" calling it instead a gift with commercial value.

Conservatives call for ethics probe into Justin Trudeau's free Jamaican holiday stay