Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Burnaby motorcyclist killed in weekend crash

Burnaby motorcyclist killed in weekend crash
Burnaby RCMP are looking for witnesses after a motorcyclist was killed in a crash Saturday. Police say the motorcycle was travelling westbound on Grange Street and at the same time an S-U-V travelling the opposite direction was turning onto Chaffey Avenue. 

Burnaby motorcyclist killed in weekend crash

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey
Three people are facing multiple charges after an alleged carjacking in Surrey. Mounties say they responded to a report of a vehicle being taken at gunpoint Sunday afternoon.  

3 facing charges in alleged carjacking in Surrey

Nearly 20,000 without power in B.C. as wintry winds lash south coast

Nearly 20,000 without power in B.C. as wintry winds lash south coast
Nearly 20,000 people are without power this morning as wintry winds sweep over British Columbia's south coast and snow falls in the Interior. The BC Hydro website shows dozens of outages, with most in the Lower Mainland, on the Sunshine Coast and on Vancouver Island, including parts of Victoria.

Nearly 20,000 without power in B.C. as wintry winds lash south coast

Speed a factor in fatal Maple Ridge crash

Speed a factor in fatal Maple Ridge crash
Police believe speed was a factor in last week's deadly car crash in the Greater Vancouver Area. Officers say a Pontiac allegedly crossed into an oncoming line in Maple Ridge on Friday before crashing with a Honda Civic.

Speed a factor in fatal Maple Ridge crash

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash
A 26-year-old Indian national, hoping to get permanent residency in Canada, died in a single-vehicle crash in the country's New Brunswick province. Harwinder Singh, a resident of Mohali in Punjab, died on the spot in the December 26 crash on Highway 2 at Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska that left two others with non-life threatening injuries, the Global News reported this week.

Indian national hoping for permanent residency dies in Canada car crash

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver
Jane Stillwell got ejected from her wheelchair and suffered significant injuries when driver Gurdeep Singh Sohi made an "abrupt and hard brake" to avoid collision with another car in 2018. The car ahead of Sohi, employed with Richmond Cabs Ltd, had braked to avoid hitting a raccoon. Stillwell will also get C$171,470 for her future care and C$10,423 in special damages, making the total $406,893, the British Columbia Supreme Court said in a judgment issued on December 27, 2023.

Passenger gets $400K compensation after negligence by Indian-origin taxi driver