Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada
Jagtar Singh Sidhu and Harbhajan Kaur, both in their 50s, were shot more than 20 times just before midnight on November 20 at their rental property along the Caledon-Brampton border. While Sidhu died on the spot, Harbhajan Kaur succumbed to injuries in the hospital where she was rushed to along with their daughter who was shot 13 times and continues to battle for her life.

Son holds vigil seeking justice for Sikh parents slain in Canada

B.C. wants unified truck safety system after spate of overpass crashes reveals gaps

B.C. wants unified truck safety system after spate of overpass crashes reveals gaps
British Columbia's transport minister has written to his federal counterpart asking for the closure of road safety gaps he says allow some trucking companies to avoid consequences while operating unsafely across Canada. Rob Fleming's letter on Monday to Pablo Rodriguez comes after a series of incidents involving commercial trucks or their cargo slamming into highway overpasses.  

B.C. wants unified truck safety system after spate of overpass crashes reveals gaps

North Vancouver man in custody after reports of erratic behaviour involving a weapon

North Vancouver man in custody after reports of erratic behaviour involving a weapon
Police in North Vancouver say a man is in custody after someone reported him acting erratically and holding a weapon in the city's central Lonsdale neighbourhood Friday morning. North Vancouver R-C-M-P say the report drew a heavy police response to the area and shut down part of the neighbourhood as an emergency response team was called in to deal with him. 

North Vancouver man in custody after reports of erratic behaviour involving a weapon

Man shot in Coquitlam, B.C., over weekend dies of his injuries

Man shot in Coquitlam, B.C., over weekend dies of his injuries
A man injured in the latest shooting in the Metro Vancouver suburb of Coquitlam has died. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team joined the case after police say the 21-year-old victim shot on Saturday died from his injuries. 

Man shot in Coquitlam, B.C., over weekend dies of his injuries

Insured damage from severe weather exceeded $3.1B in 2023: insurance bureau

Insured damage from severe weather exceeded $3.1B in 2023: insurance bureau
Severe weather and natural disasters caused more than $3 billion in insured damages for the second year in a row in 2023.  The Insurance Bureau of Canada's annual tally is topped by wildfires in the Okanagan and Shuswap areas of B.C., which cost $720 million.   

Insured damage from severe weather exceeded $3.1B in 2023: insurance bureau

Police say dog may have been thrown to its death from downtown Vancouver hotel

Police say dog may have been thrown to its death from downtown Vancouver hotel
Police say a dog that fell to its death in downtown Vancouver may have been deliberately thrown from a window. Vancouver Police say officers responded to a call and found the dead dog in the laneway beside the Molson Hotel at around 2 p.m. on Friday.

Police say dog may have been thrown to its death from downtown Vancouver hotel