Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Police say man posed as dad, trying to take five-year-old girl from daycare

Vancouver Police say man posed as dad, trying to take five-year-old girl from daycare
Police in Vancouver say a man posing as a parent tried to take a five-year-old girl from a home daycare, in what they call a "troubling" case. They say the incident happened on Dec. 13, when a man showed up at the East Vancouver after-school daycare at about 3:30 p.m. and asked for the girl by name.

Vancouver Police say man posed as dad, trying to take five-year-old girl from daycare

Homicide team takes over case of a missing man from Chilliwack

Homicide team takes over case of a missing man from Chilliwack
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has stepped into a missing person case involving a B.C. man whose disappearance police now say is suspicious. The team says in a news release that foul play is suspected in the disappearance of 41-year-old Jamie Bristol of Chilliwack, B.C.

Homicide team takes over case of a missing man from Chilliwack

Canada's first conflict of interest and ethic commissioner, Mary Dawson, dies

Canada's first conflict of interest and ethic commissioner, Mary Dawson, dies
Former conflict of interest and ethics commissioner Mary Dawson has died. The commissioner's office posted a statement on its website today announcing it is saddened to learn of Dawson's death on Dec.24.

Canada's first conflict of interest and ethic commissioner, Mary Dawson, dies

Conservation group buys out hunting rights in B.C. rainforest to protect wildlife

Conservation group buys out hunting rights in B.C. rainforest to protect wildlife
A conservation group says its latest purchase of exclusive hunting rights in a British Columbia rainforest is a major step toward protecting the area's wildlife, but hunters say the move is an "abuse" of the licensing system. 

Conservation group buys out hunting rights in B.C. rainforest to protect wildlife

Christmas Day assault at NewWest SkyTrain

Christmas Day assault at NewWest SkyTrain
Police in Metro Vancouver say they're investigating a Christmas Day assault at a SkyTrain station that left the victim with serious injuries. They say officers were called to the New Westminster station at about 5 P-M.  

Christmas Day assault at NewWest SkyTrain

Vancouver jail guard charged with assault

Vancouver jail guard charged with assault
The B-C Prosecution Service says a Vancouver jail guard has been charged with assault.  The service says Special Municipal Constable Omar Ahmed Flores faces one count of assault related to an incident at the Vancouver Police Department's jail last January.   

Vancouver jail guard charged with assault