Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Housing market could rebound in 2024

Housing market could rebound in 2024
The Canadian housing market could be in for a rebound in 2024. That is the forecast coming from economists after a year of caution and shifting expectations spurred by rising borrowing costs.  

Housing market could rebound in 2024

Victim of New York bus crash identified as 74-year-old Montreal woman

Victim of New York bus crash identified as 74-year-old Montreal woman
New York State Police have identified Jeanne Elzanie Jourdan Colin, a 74-year-old Montrealer, as the person who died in a tour bus crash in Lake George, N.Y., on Friday. They say one person remains in critical condition at an Albany, N.Y., hospital.

Victim of New York bus crash identified as 74-year-old Montreal woman

Trudeau to join mourners at memorial for victims of downed plane

Trudeau to join mourners at memorial for victims of downed plane
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will join mourners in Richmond Hill, Ont., this afternoon to mark four years since the Iranian military shot down Flight PS752. Everyone aboard was killed when Iranian officials shot down the Ukraine International Airlines jetliner in January 2020 shortly after its take-off from Tehran.

Trudeau to join mourners at memorial for victims of downed plane

One dead in BC helicopter crash

One dead in BC helicopter crash
The RCMP says one person has died in a helicopter crash near Revelstoke, B.C. They say the helicopter, which was first reported missing Friday, was found in Glacier National Park.

One dead in BC helicopter crash

Third shooting in three days in Coquitlam, B.C., sends man to hospital

Third shooting in three days in Coquitlam, B.C., sends man to hospital
Mounties in Coquitlam, B.C., say a third shooting in as many days has left a man with life-threatening injuries. They say officers responded to a call around 4:15 p.m. Saturday and found the man, who was then taken to hospital.  

Third shooting in three days in Coquitlam, B.C., sends man to hospital

B.C. braces for winter storm, with 50 cm of snow forecast for inland

B.C. braces for winter storm, with 50 cm of snow forecast for inland
Environment Canada has issued heavy snowfall warnings for a number of key highways in British Columbia with accumulation of up to 50 centimetres possible in some inland stretches. The highway warnings come as British Columbia's south and central coast are getting their first taste of winter weather this year, with snow falling over parts of Metro Vancouver. 

B.C. braces for winter storm, with 50 cm of snow forecast for inland