Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Third child under 10 dies of complications linked to influenza in B.C.

Third child under 10 dies of complications linked to influenza in B.C.
The latest update from the B.C. Centre for Disease Control says it received three reports of influenza-related deaths in children aged under 10 during the final week of 2023. It says that means influenza was a contributing factor but not necessarily the primary cause of death in the children.

Third child under 10 dies of complications linked to influenza in B.C.

Witnesses need to come forward in shooting, plea from Coquitlam RCMP

Witnesses need to come forward in shooting, plea from Coquitlam RCMP
Mounties in Coquitlam say they're looking for witnesses and video footage of a shooting Thursday afternoon. Coquitlam R-C-M-P say nobody was injured in the shooting, which happened before 3 p-m around Johnson Street and Glen Drive.

Witnesses need to come forward in shooting, plea from Coquitlam RCMP

Snowfall warning triggers travel advisories for two B.C. highways

Snowfall warning triggers travel advisories for two B.C. highways
Environment Canada has also issued snowfall warnings for a number of areas in B.C. as a low pressure system from the Pacific Ocean approaches after an unusually warm December. The weather agency says the area around Whistler and the Howe Sound can expect accumulation at elevations above 400 metres, with the ski resort community getting as much as 15 centimetres.

Snowfall warning triggers travel advisories for two B.C. highways

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Narinder Sandhu

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Narinder Sandhu
Narinder Sandhu is described as a 69 year old South Asian Male. He is 5"7 with a slim build with white facial hair. He is believed to be riding a white Infinity mountain bike. Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Narinder Sandhu is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604 599 0502. 

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Narinder Sandhu

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride
Police in Abbotsford say they handed out close to 300 traffic tickets and impounded more than 100 vehicles in what it called "project joyride." The department’s traffic enforcement unit spent numerous shifts in October and November focusing on high-risk driving behaviours such as speeding and street racing.

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm
B.C.'s Transport Ministry says in a statement it has reached out to counterparts in Alberta about the suspension of the safety certificate for Chohan Freight Forwarders' 65-truck fleet. The statement came after social media users shared photographs they said were taken in B.C. this week that showed trucks branded "Chohan Group" and "Edmonton." A truck operated by Langley, B.C., based Chohan Freight Forwarders was involved in the Dec. 28 crash that lodged a steel girder in an overpass over Highway 99 in Delta.

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm