Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

One dead in Surrey house fire

One dead in Surrey house fire
One person died on New Year's Day in a house fire in Surrey. Mounties say four occupants of the house escaped and are being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

One dead in Surrey house fire

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford
On December 30th of last year 24-year-old Roman Arinder Gill and 28-year-old Shaun Narinder Gill were charged with various firearm offences.  Mounties say officers were called Friday to a report of shots fired, when two suspects fled the area in a blue Range Rover.

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice
A union representing more than 180 transit workers in B.C. has issued a 72-hour strike notice. CUPE Local 4500 represents workers employed by the Coast Mountain Bus Company, which runs transit operations for all of Metro Vancouver. The notice is effective at 8 a.m. local time on Wednesday.  

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice

1 injured in Surrey shooting

1 injured in Surrey shooting
Mounties in Surrey say a man suffered serious injuries after a shooting in Port Kells Monday night. Surrey R-C-M-P say they were called to a report of shots fired on 92nd Avenue around 10 p-m where they found a 19-year-old victim with a gunshot wound. 

1 injured in Surrey shooting

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12
The premier says he spoke with Carson's father who told him that since their son's death, the family has been contacted by the families of three of his classmates, who said their children were also talking online with strangers. Eby says people from across B.C. have been contacting his office saying their children were in situations similar to Carson's and they only found out due to publicity surrounding the boy's death.

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12

Canada faces green Christmas as El Nino follows warm summer, head climatologist says

Canada faces green Christmas as El Nino follows warm summer, head climatologist says
Cypress Mountain north of Vancouver said on social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that it had to close on Tuesday "due to inclement weather," with high temperatures forecasted to reach 9 C on Friday and sunny weather expected throughout the weekend before rain returns on Christmas Day. It's the same everywhere you look. 

Canada faces green Christmas as El Nino follows warm summer, head climatologist says