Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals echo Hamas condemnation after militant leader hails Canada ceasefire stance

Liberals echo Hamas condemnation after militant leader hails Canada ceasefire stance
The Liberals are stressing that Hamas needs to surrender to Israel, after the militant group praised Ottawa for calling for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the group can no longer have a role in governing Gaza or in creating a Palestinian state living in peace alongside Israel.

Liberals echo Hamas condemnation after militant leader hails Canada ceasefire stance

Federal government to give $471 million to Toronto in housing deal

Federal government to give $471 million to Toronto in housing deal
The federal government says it will give Toronto nearly half a billion dollars in housing funding. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the announcement in Toronto this morning, saying the city will receive $471 million from the federal Housing Accelerator Fund.

Federal government to give $471 million to Toronto in housing deal

Dutch court orders Amanda Todd's tormentor to serve six years of 13-year B.C. term

Dutch court orders Amanda Todd's tormentor to serve six years of 13-year B.C. term
The man who extorted and bullied British Columbia teenager Amanda Todd into suicide has had his 13-year sentence from a Canadian court converted to a six-year prison term in Europe. An Amsterdam court handed Aydin Coban the six-year sentence on Thursday, which is the maximum allowed under Dutch law and is longer than the 4 1/2 years prosecutors recommended to the court in July. 

Dutch court orders Amanda Todd's tormentor to serve six years of 13-year B.C. term

B.C. woman faces multiple charges for under-18 sex trafficking, say Langley RCMP

B.C. woman faces multiple charges for under-18 sex trafficking, say Langley RCMP
Police in British Columbia say a woman faces more than a dozen charges related to an alleged human trafficking scheme involving sexual exploitation of people under 18. Langley RCMP say Jennifer Lynn Stephens faces 14 criminal charges for her alleged role in a human trafficking and pimping operation, including forcible confinement, assault with a weapon, uttering threats, and benefiting and advertising sexual services.  

B.C. woman faces multiple charges for under-18 sex trafficking, say Langley RCMP

BC Ferries adding extra sailings over holidays

BC Ferries adding extra sailings over holidays
BC Ferries says it’s adding more than 152 sailings between Metro Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland for people travelling over holidays.  The additional sailings begin today and will operate until New Year’s Day with 112 extra sailings added along the Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen route.   

BC Ferries adding extra sailings over holidays

268 arrested and over 100K in stolen merchandise recovered in shoplifting crackdown

268 arrested and over 100K in stolen merchandise recovered in shoplifting crackdown
Vancouver police say 268 people were arrested and over 100-thousand dollars in stolen merchandise was recovered in a recent shoplifting crackdown dubbed “Project Barcode.” Police say officers also seized 31 weapons at about 30 retailers between November 30th and December 15th. 

268 arrested and over 100K in stolen merchandise recovered in shoplifting crackdown