Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Pedestrian badly injured in Langley collision

Pedestrian badly injured in Langley collision
Langley Mounties are hoping someone can help identify a pedestrian badly injured in a collision on Monday. Police say a woman was walking at dusk on 268th Street at 26-A Avenue when she was hit by a pickup truck.  

Pedestrian badly injured in Langley collision

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital
British Columbia's provincial government is going ahead with the construction of a $638-million "state-of-the-art" research centre at the new St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver. Premier David Eby said at a news conference after touring the construction site at the new hospital on Thursday that the province has approved the business plan and funding for the new research facility.

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital

Guilty plea from Vancouver hit and run suspect

Guilty plea from Vancouver hit and run suspect
A man charged in a fatal hit and run in Vancouver last year has pleaded guilty to criminal negligence causing death. Eoghan Byrne was killed on July 19th, 2022 in the Kitsilano neighbourhood in a collision that was captured on surveillance video.  

Guilty plea from Vancouver hit and run suspect

Hundreds of foreign-trained doctors boosting B.C. family medicine: Dix

Hundreds of foreign-trained doctors boosting B.C. family medicine: Dix
British Columbia Health Minister Adrian Dix says almost all of the 666 international medical graduates registered in the province this year are now working as doctors, with more than half in family medicine. Dix's comments come amid ongoing health-care woes including hospital overcrowding and many residents being left without a family doctor.

Hundreds of foreign-trained doctors boosting B.C. family medicine: Dix

Woman, 72, uses shovel to chase naked intruder from her Vancouver home, police say

Woman, 72, uses shovel to chase naked intruder from her Vancouver home, police say
Police say a 72-year-old woman used a shovel to chase a combative and naked man from her Vancouver home on Tuesday night. Vancouver police say in a statement the man entered the home by smashing a window with a pointed metal rod.

Woman, 72, uses shovel to chase naked intruder from her Vancouver home, police say

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store
Mounties in Creston says a 73-year-old man faces multiple charges, including impaired driving, after a vehicle crashed through a dollar store on Monday morning. Police say damage to the store was significant after the vehicle drove through the front window of the Your Dollar Store with More. 

73-year-old man faces multiple charges after vehicle crashes through dollar store