Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead
B-C's police watchdog confirms that a man who was involved in an incident with police in Langley last month has been found dead. The Independent Investigations Office of B-C says human remains found at the scene of a fire in Langley are those of a man who had barricaded himself inside a building as police were outside on November 10th. 

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars
Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of people buying used vehicles that turned out to be stolen. The integrated auto crime team says they have worked on a number of cases where people have purchased cars either online or at used-car dealerships with fake vehicle identification numbers.  

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver
The skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver are slowing according to the latest report by Rentals-dot-C-A and Urbanation. The report says the area's asking rents in November rose less than 1 per cent from last year, reaching an average rental unit price of three-thousand-171-dollars.

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation
A Coquitlam man is facing is facing a long list of charges, including trafficking and possession after police say they uncovered a large-scale, cross-Canada drug operation. BC's Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says police conducted a yearlong investigation that included police in Manitoba, resulting in three arrests and a large quantity of drugs and weapons seized.  

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside
A 30-year-old Indo-Canadian has been charged in the US state of Florida for driving drunk and crashing his vehicle with his four-month-old daughter inside. Peeyush Gupta, a resident of Ontario province, was taken into custody last week and remains behind bars in Monroe County’s Key West jail facility.  

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll
A new survey suggests one in four Canadians are extremely concerned about having enough income to cover their basic needs, with the highest degree of hardship being felt by single parents. The Salvation Army released the data today as part of their annual report examining Canadians' attitudes and experiences with poverty and related socioeconomic issues.

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll