Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP warn about spike in online extremism among Canadian youth

RCMP warn about spike in online extremism among Canadian youth
The Mounties say five Canadian youth have been arrested in terror-related cases since June. Jewish and Muslim leaders across Canada have reported an increase in hate-motivated attacks since the terrorist attacks launched by Hamas on Israel on Oct. 7, and the massive military response by Israel in Gaza.

RCMP warn about spike in online extremism among Canadian youth

Powerful gusts over 100 kilometres per hour, steady rain projected to hit East Coast

Powerful gusts over 100 kilometres per hour, steady rain projected to hit East Coast
Ian Hubbard with Environment Canada says strong winds are forecast to begin in southern Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and sweep across the provinces through the day and overnight. The storm is expected to head overnight across the Cabot Strait and into southern Newfoundland, where powerful winds are also expected. Hubbard says the strongest gusts may reach up to 110 km/h and that between 50 to 80 millimetres of rain will fall.

Powerful gusts over 100 kilometres per hour, steady rain projected to hit East Coast

Canada joins EU, Britain, others decrying 'extremist settlers' violence in West Bank

Canada joins EU, Britain, others decrying 'extremist settlers' violence in West Bank
The United Nations says violence in the Israel-occupied Palestinian territory of the West Bank has risen at an unprecedented rate since the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas militants prompted Israel to bombard the Gaza Strip. Armed groups living in Israeli settlements, deemed illegal under international law, have attacked Palestinians hundreds of times and forced more than 1,200 to leave their homes.

Canada joins EU, Britain, others decrying 'extremist settlers' violence in West Bank

B.C. transfer station 'intentionally' set ablaze after attempted break-in, city says

B.C. transfer station 'intentionally' set ablaze after attempted break-in, city says
Officials in Cranbrook say the city's transfer station for garbage and recycling was "intentionally" set ablaze by someone who tried to break into the facility overnight. A statement from the Regional District of East Kootenay says the station has reopened after the early morning fire was snuffed out by emergency crews. 

B.C. transfer station 'intentionally' set ablaze after attempted break-in, city says

2 dead in a car crash in Nanaimo

2 dead in a car crash in Nanaimo
Police in Nanaimo say two people are dead after a serious single-vehicle car crash near a rural campground on Saturday morning. Nanaimo R-C-M-P say they arrived just before 9 a-m at the crash site on Nanaimo River Road, about 15 kilometres west of the Trans Canada Highway.   

2 dead in a car crash in Nanaimo

Grinch like thieves stealing Xmas gifts

Grinch like thieves stealing Xmas gifts
The Vancouver Police Department says holiday shoppers should be on the lookout for Grinch-like thieves looking to steal their Christmas gifts.  In a short video posted on social media, the V-P-D says shoppers should be careful about storing gifts in vehicles because criminals are out shopping for opportunities. 

Grinch like thieves stealing Xmas gifts