Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Road closed in Surrey after passenger dies

Road closed in Surrey after passenger dies
RCMP in Surrey say their investigation into a deadly overnight crash has found the victim was not a pedestrian. The Mounties say one person was killed and another taken to hospital with serious injuries after the crash, which led to ongoing road closures in the area.    

Road closed in Surrey after passenger dies

1 in hospital in Delta shooting

1 in hospital in Delta shooting
Delta police are investigating after a targeted shooting sent one person to hospital. Police say the shooting happened at around 5:45 p-m yesterday at 82nd Avenue between 110th and 112th streets.

1 in hospital in Delta shooting

British Columbia sets tougher penalties for trucks that hit overpasses

British Columbia sets tougher penalties for trucks that hit overpasses
The British Columbia government is stepping up penalties for truckers who crash into highway overpasses after a rash of such incidents in recent years. Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the province will implement escalating penalties for companies and drivers with repeat offences, adding longer suspensions and the possible loss of their operating certificate. 

British Columbia sets tougher penalties for trucks that hit overpasses

Bird Flu at 52 BC commerical flocks

Bird Flu at 52 BC commerical flocks
More than 50 poultry farms in British Columbia have been infected with avian flu since October, but animal health officials say that rate is slowing as the fall migration of wild birds ends.  The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said Thursday 47 commercial farms and five small-flocks have been infected with the highly pathogenic H5N1 virus this fall. 

Bird Flu at 52 BC commerical flocks

Death toll among B.C.'s homeless rising, hits 342 people last year: Coroner's report

Death toll among B.C.'s homeless rising, hits 342 people last year: Coroner's report
British Columbia's Coroners Service says there's been a sharp increase in deaths among people experiencing homelessness. A statement from the coroners service says the deaths of 342 people experiencing homelessness were reported last year, an increase of almost 140 over the past two years.   

Death toll among B.C.'s homeless rising, hits 342 people last year: Coroner's report

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for a man who stole a Salvation Army donation kettle from a local mall. Police say the theft happened on December 3rd at Coquitlam Centre Mall's southeast entrance facing Pinetree Way.

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle