Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care
Eby says the model addresses people who repeatedly overdose in a way that respects their ability to make their own decisions and avoids the risk that they won't call for help if they think they might be held against their will.

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza
Canada has negotiated with Israel and Egypt to get approximately 600 people through the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt, as of the last update from Global Affairs. The only people who qualify are Canadians, Canadian permanent residents and people who meet the government's strict definition of an eligible family member, though there have been exceptions.

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock
Mounties in White Rock confirm shots were fired in the city earlier today. No injuries were reported, but police say they suspect the shooting was targeted. Police are investigating a motive.

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne announced this fall that Canada's major grocers — Loblaw, Metro, Empire, Walmart and Costco — had shared plans to tackle rising prices that included discounts, price freezes and price-matching campaigns. However, questions swirled about what exactly the grocers promised, given the details of the plans were not being shared publicly.

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions
Vancouver’s fire department is showing off what the city says is Canada’s first electric fire engine.  The Austrian-built pumper truck is part of the city’s commitment to reduce fleet emissions by moving to electric vehicles when they need to be replaced. Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim says the fire engine represents an important milestone and the city is proud to be the first in Canada to lead the way with its firefighting fleet. 

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions

CBC says it is cutting 600 jobs, some programming

CBC says it is cutting 600 jobs, some programming
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. and Radio-Canada will eliminate about 600 jobs and an additional 200 vacancies will go unfilled as it contends with $125 million in budget pressures. The public broadcaster says CBC and Radio-Canada will each cut about 250 jobs, with the balance of the layoffs coming from its corporate divisions like technology and infrastructure.

CBC says it is cutting 600 jobs, some programming