Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

BC chief coroner Lisa Lapointe retiring

BC chief coroner Lisa Lapointe retiring
The B.C. Coroners Service had been "forever altered" by the public health emergency that continued to take the lives of people of all ages across the province, including more than 2,000 deaths so far this year, Lapointe said in a statement Wednesday. B.C. declared a drug overdose public health emergency in April 2016. Latest numbers show the loss of 13,317 lives, at a current rate of more than six people a day.

BC chief coroner Lisa Lapointe retiring

Burnaby business targeted twice in 24 hrs

Burnaby business targeted twice in 24 hrs
Police in Burnaby say they have recovered about half-a-million-dollars in stolen surveying equipment after a business was targeted by thieves twice in 24 hours. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the first break-in happened at 6 a-m on November 13th at the business, located near Still Creek Avenue and Douglas Road.  

Burnaby business targeted twice in 24 hrs

Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim moves to axe elected Park Board

Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim moves to axe elected Park Board
Mayor Ken Sim says he's moving to abolish Vancouver's elected Park Board, which is the only such body in any British Columbia city. Sim says at a news conference in City Hall that he'll be moving a motion to ask the province to amend the Vancouver Charter to bring control of parks under the city council.   

Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim moves to axe elected Park Board

Bank of Canada holds its key interest rate steady at 5% in final decision of 2023

Bank of Canada holds its key interest rate steady at 5% in final decision of 2023
The Bank of Canada is not ruling out future rate hikes just yet. The Bank of Canada projected that in October that inflation will fall back to the two per cent target in 2025.  

Bank of Canada holds its key interest rate steady at 5% in final decision of 2023

Most Canadians want more federal spending on health care, housing: poll

Most Canadians want more federal spending on health care, housing: poll
A majority of Canadians think the federal government should spend more on health care, a housing strategy and initiatives to ease inflation and cost-of-living issues, a new poll suggests — but they also want it to freeze or reduce other spending. Nearly three-quarters of respondents to the new Leger poll, or 71 per cent, said the federal government should spend more on health care and health transfers to the provinces.

Most Canadians want more federal spending on health care, housing: poll

B.C. says 578 foreign-educated nurses registered in 2023, doubling intake

B.C. says 578 foreign-educated nurses registered in 2023, doubling intake
The first yearly update on B.C.'s health human resources strategy says 578 internationally educated nurses became fully registered in the province in 2023 compared with 288 in 2022. Staffing shortfalls have been blamed for a series of health-care woes across the province, including emergency room closures, overcrowding and hundreds of thousands of people going without a family doctor.

B.C. says 578 foreign-educated nurses registered in 2023, doubling intake