Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses
The House of Commons heritage committee unanimously agreed on Thursday to have the president of the public broadcaster address the cuts and potential bonuses. The committee summoned Tait to appear at its first meeting in the new year following the holiday recess, but a date has yet to be set. 

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier
Newly elected members of the Northwest Territories legislature have chosen their next premier.  R.J. Simpson, the legislature member for Hay River North, won on the second round of voting Thursday. Simpson was first elected to the legislature in 2015, and previously worked with the federal government, Northern Transportation Co. Ltd., Métis Nation Local 51 and Maskwa Engineering. 

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier
Premier David Eby says the New Democrat government's ambitious homebuilding agenda could result in up to 293,000 new housing units over the next decade. Eby provided details of the housing strategy at a British Columbia Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge
A mobile overdose prevention site will launch in Maple Ridge later this month. Fraser Health says in a statement that the site will begin operations on December 18th, using a customized van with an outdoor covered area to accommodate people who inhale or smoke substances.

Mobile overdose prevention site coming to Maple Ridge

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Ottawa will require foreigners applying to study in Canada to have double the amount of funds currently required. Miller says the change is among those meant to ensure international students aren't left vulnerable to sketchy employers and unable to afford life in Canada.

Liberals hike income requirement for foreign students, targeting 'puppy mill' schools

Hiker missing for a year near Sooke, B.C., found dead

Hiker missing for a year near Sooke, B.C., found dead
The remains of a hiker who disappeared near Victoria a year ago have been found. Sooke RCMP say the remains of 38-year-old Melissa McDevitt have been located, and police do not believe criminality was involved.  

Hiker missing for a year near Sooke, B.C., found dead