Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary
Fire officials say three people are dead after a fire in a shed outside a home improvement store in Calgary. Crews responded to the fire just before 4 a.m. Monday at a Lowe's in the city's northwest. The bodies were found inside the shed after the flames were extinguished.  

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary

Three people, including youth, charged with second-degree murder in Alberta death

Three people, including youth, charged with second-degree murder in Alberta death
Three people, including a youth, face murder charges after police say a man was dropped off at a rural Alberta medical centre following an assault. RCMP say Nathan Nanootch, who was 25, was left at the health facility in John D'Or Prairie last Tuesday, but later died from his injuries. An 18-year-old, a 19-year-old and a youth have been arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

Three people, including youth, charged with second-degree murder in Alberta death

Workers at Hudson's Bay store in Kamloops on strike

Workers at Hudson's Bay store in Kamloops on strike
Workers at the Hudson’s Bay store at Aberdeen Mall in Kamloops, B.C., have walked off the job after their union and the company were unable to reach a wage agreement. United Steelworkers union Local 1-417, which represents the workers, says talks have been ongoing since July without success. 

Workers at Hudson's Bay store in Kamloops on strike

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore
Police say the suspect vehicle fled the scene and was found burned in Surrey, B.C., later that same night. No one has yet been arrested in connection to the shooting. RCMP is asking anyone who saw a grey Jaguar SUV in the area on Wednesday or who may have witnessed the shooting to contact police.

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital
Mounties in Williams Lake, B.C., say two people were arrested after a 32-year-old man brought a dead infant to a hospital. Police say a second injured child was later found and brought to the hospital for a medical assessment.  

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence
British Columbia has announced a new three-year action plan that it says aims to end stigma around gender-based violence and ensure access to supports. The plan includes building more housing for women and children leaving violence, expanding cell service to make travel safer, and adding 75 new sexual assault support programs -- 22 of which are specifically for Indigenous women.  

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence