Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political
The mayor of Alberta's largest city says she won't attend the annual menorah lighting ceremony to mark the beginning of Hanukkah because she believes it's too political, but her decision led to a backlash from the Jewish community and Conservative politicians. Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek posted a statement on the social media site X, formerly known as Twitter, saying Thursday's ceremony at city hall has been repositioned as an event to support Israel.

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed
The oil and gas industry will have to cut emissions by more than one-third within seven years or buy offset credits under a new federal policy. A cap on emisisons from the fossil fuel sector had been promised by the Liberals since the 2021 election, but the announcement Thursday spelled out exactly how much the government will ask the industry to cut.

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the death toll has risen to five in a salmonella outbreak linked to Malichita and Rudy brand cantaloupes. It says 129 people have been confirmed with salmonella linked to the outbreak, almost double the number at the last update on Dec. 1, when a single death had been recorded.

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November
It was a busy month for Kelowna R-C-M-P officers as they dealt with a slew of speeding drivers in November. The Mounties say they handed out 80 speeding tickets last month.  

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay
8 people are facing trafficking charges after a lengthy investigation in Courtenay. Comox Valley R-C-M-P say two units collaborated to specifically target drug traffickers in Courtenay's downtown.

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay

Child luring incident in North Vancouver

Child luring incident in North Vancouver
Police in North Vancouver are looking for witnesses after a child reported being approached by a stranger driving a truck. The Mounties say it happened early afternoon near West 13th Street and Mahon Avenue as a 10-year-old boy was walking along the street.  

Child luring incident in North Vancouver