Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Over 100 arrests made and 29K recovered in retail theft in Victoria

Over 100 arrests made and 29K recovered in retail theft in Victoria
Police in Victoria say officers have made more than 100 arrests and recovered 29-thousand-dollars in stolen merchandise during a recent eight-day retail theft crackdown. Victoria Police say the operation took place from November 27th to December 5th and also resulted in four individuals being arrested multiple times.

Over 100 arrests made and 29K recovered in retail theft in Victoria

Snowfall warning issued for parts of Eastern BC

Snowfall warning issued for parts of Eastern BC
Parts of eastern B-C are under a snowfall warning with some areas forecast to get as much as 15-centimetres today. Environment Canada says the Elk Valley area near Fernie, as well as Highway 3 between Grand Forks and Creston, may get enough snow to hamper visibility in the wake of a cold front in the region.

Snowfall warning issued for parts of Eastern BC

Shooting outside Mission Superstore

Shooting outside Mission Superstore
Mission R-C-M-P say a shooting at a supermarket parking lot has sent one man to hospital with serious injuries. Police say officers responded to a report of shots fired at around 7:30 p-m Wednesday and found a man with multiple gunshot wounds inside a parked vehicle.    

Shooting outside Mission Superstore

Woman dies in crash next to Zoo: Langley RCMP

Woman dies in crash next to Zoo: Langley RCMP
Mounties in Langley are asking for the public’s help with dashcam footage after a woman died after a crash next to the Greater Vancouver Zoo.  R-C-M-P say the initial investigation suggests a driver of a pickup truck stopped in the northbound lane of a street, waiting to turn left.   

Woman dies in crash next to Zoo: Langley RCMP

Key legal document leaked online

Key legal document leaked online
The Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General says it is launching an investigation into how a sensitive law enforcement document was leaked on social media. A statement from the ministry says Abbotsford police and the province’s anti-gang agency have become aware of a sensitive law enforcement intelligence document being put on a social media site last month. 

Key legal document leaked online

Amanda Todd's mom urges more jail time for tormentor, as Dutch court mulls sentence

Amanda Todd's mom urges more jail time for tormentor, as Dutch court mulls sentence
The mother of B.C. teenager Amanda Todd, who was bullied into suicide by a Dutch national, says she'll be "so angry" if a court in Amsterdam doesn't give him significant extra jail time on the basis of his Canadian conviction last year. Judges at the Amsterdam District Court said earlier today they would rule in two weeks on the conversion of the 13-year sentence for Aydin Coban, who was convicted of the extortion and harassment of Amanda.

Amanda Todd's mom urges more jail time for tormentor, as Dutch court mulls sentence