Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD release suspect photo in assault

VPD release suspect photo in assault
Vancouver police have released a photo of a man who they say assaulted a woman and then pointed a gun at a group of people at a SkyTrain station in late August.  Police say officers who responded to the incident the evening of August 24th were unable to locate the man or the victims.

VPD release suspect photo in assault

Runaway barge floats in English Bay

Runaway barge floats in English Bay
People in Vancouver may have experienced déjà vu this weekend as a runaway barge floated in waters of English Bay before it was brought under control. The empty barge had broken free of its mooring buoy and a video posted to YouTube shows it floating just a few metres away from shore yesterday.

Runaway barge floats in English Bay

Premier David Eby marks Transgender Day of Remembrance in BC

Premier David Eby marks Transgender Day of Remembrance in BC
B-C Premier David Eby is marking the Transgender Day of Remembrance with a statement promising to recommit to the fight against transphobia and other hate-driven violence. Eby says the province is raising the transgender flag on the legislature lawn today in support of the community.

Premier David Eby marks Transgender Day of Remembrance in BC

Did you lose half a kilogram of cocaine? Police in B.C. would like to help

Did you lose half a kilogram of cocaine? Police in B.C. would like to help
Police in Mission say they are seeking the owner of half a kilogram of cocaine that was hidden in a public restroom's ceiling and anyone who wants to claim the drugs should bring "proof of purchase." RCMP Cpl. Harrison Mohr says officers will be happy to set up an interview at the owner's convenience.

Did you lose half a kilogram of cocaine? Police in B.C. would like to help

Mayor of Surrey, B.C., announces constitutional challenge over policing

Mayor of Surrey, B.C., announces constitutional challenge over policing
Brenda Locke, who opposes the transition, says an amended court petition will be filed today, after the city already requested a judicial review of the province's directive to proceed with the switch away from the RCMP. 

Mayor of Surrey, B.C., announces constitutional challenge over policing

Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh blasts Trudeau, Poilievre at B.C. convention

Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh blasts Trudeau, Poilievre at B.C. convention
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has lost touch with the struggles of Canadians, while Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre only pretends to care about regular people, federal New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh said Sunday. Singh took political swings at his two leadership counterparts during a speech to more than 700 delegates attending the British Columbia NDP convention.  

Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh blasts Trudeau, Poilievre at B.C. convention