Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

India restores e-visa services for Canadian nationals, easing diplomatic row between the 2 countries

India restores e-visa services for Canadian nationals, easing diplomatic row between the 2 countries
India restored electronic visa services for Canadian nationals, an Indian foreign ministry official said Wednesday, two months after Canada alleged the South Asian nation was involved in the assassination of a Sikh separatist in Canada. The electronic visa was back in order on Wednesday, the official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to reporters.  

India restores e-visa services for Canadian nationals, easing diplomatic row between the 2 countries

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum
The B-C government says it will launch a website to seek public input on a new museum that would highlight the history, culture and contributions of South Asian heritages in the province.  Lana Popham, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says public input, especially from South Asian communities, is vital to creating a first-of-its-kind museum.

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes
The City of Penticton says it has temporarily evacuated 24 properties in a mobile home park over fears of a potential rock slide. The city says it was notified on Tuesday morning about a large rock that may break off a cliff, and a geotechnical engineer's review prompted the evacuation of the properties in the Pleasant Valley Mobile Home Park.   

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes

2nd degree murder charge laid in death of 18 year old Mehakpreet Sethi

2nd degree murder charge laid in death of 18 year old Mehakpreet Sethi
A second-degree murder charge has been laid in the death of an 18-year-old outside a Surrey high school last year. Homicide investigators say an 18-year-old man has been charged, but his name won’t be released because he was a youth at the time of the death.

2nd degree murder charge laid in death of 18 year old Mehakpreet Sethi

B.C. unfairly clawed back COVID-19 benefit to thousands during pandemic, says report

B.C. unfairly clawed back COVID-19 benefit to thousands during pandemic, says report
Thousands of people in British Columbia saw their $1,000 tax-free COVID-19 benefit unfairly clawed back by the provincial government, says an ombudsperson report. So far, 12,000 people have been told to repay their B.C. Emergency Benefit that the government said was for workers who had been affected by the pandemic, Ombudsperson Jay Chalke said Tuesday. 

B.C. unfairly clawed back COVID-19 benefit to thousands during pandemic, says report

Federal government posts $8.2 billion deficit between April and September this year

Federal government posts $8.2 billion deficit between April and September this year
The federal government recorded a budgetary deficit of $8.2 billion between April and September, $3.9 billion of which was in September.  The finance department says in its monthly fiscal monitor that the deficit between April and September compared to a surplus of $1.7 billion during the same period last year. 

Federal government posts $8.2 billion deficit between April and September this year