Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Former RCMP official Cameron Jay Ortis found guilty of breaching secrets law

Former RCMP official Cameron Jay Ortis found guilty of breaching secrets law
A jury has found former RCMP intelligence official Cameron Jay Ortis guilty of breaching Canada's secrets law. Jurors declared Ortis guilty of three counts of violating the Security of Information Act and one count of attempting to do so in a verdict delivered on Wednesday.

Former RCMP official Cameron Jay Ortis found guilty of breaching secrets law

Firearms charge for wanted Surrey man

Firearms charge for wanted Surrey man
Surrey Mounties say charges have been laid against a wanted man who was arrested last week, allegedly while in possession of a loaded gun. Mounties say officers were patrolling on Saturday when they recognized the 42-year-old man from a previous incident.  

Firearms charge for wanted Surrey man

Crane lowers three injured workers to safety after Vancouver scaffolding collapse

Crane lowers three injured workers to safety after Vancouver scaffolding collapse
A crane was used to extract three injured workers to safety in downtown Vancouver after a facade fell off a church building onto scaffolding.  Samantha Newlove, a traffic control worker, said the incident happened on Wednesday as concrete was being pumped into a chimney on the building, which burst, toppled over and pushed over a scaffolding tower, pinning workers underneath. 

Crane lowers three injured workers to safety after Vancouver scaffolding collapse

BC's speculation tax on homes expands

BC's speculation tax on homes expands
One of British Columbia's first measures to combat the housing crisis is being expanded to include 13 more communities. Finance Minister Katrine Conroy says the New Democrat government's speculation and vacancy tax will now apply to 59 B.C. cities and towns. 

BC's speculation tax on homes expands

Health Canada approves nationwide removal of blood donor ban sparked by mad cow fears

Health Canada approves nationwide removal of blood donor ban sparked by mad cow fears
Canadian Blood Services says almost 30 years of research and surveillance has made it clear that people who weren't eligible to donate under the travel criteria can do so safely.  The agency's medical officer, Dr. Aditi Khandelwal, says lifting the ban will not impact the safety of the blood supply and will allow thousands more people to donate much-needed blood.   

Health Canada approves nationwide removal of blood donor ban sparked by mad cow fears

Canadian astronaut Joshua Kutryk to join mission to International Space Station

Canadian astronaut Joshua Kutryk to join mission to International Space Station
Joshua Kutryk has been assigned to a six-month mission that will launch no earlier than the beginning of 2025. François-Philippe Champagne, federal minister of innovation, science and industry, made the announcement today at the Canadian Space Agency headquarters, near Montreal

Canadian astronaut Joshua Kutryk to join mission to International Space Station