Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Hamas hostage deal 'progress' but long-term peace needs 'many more steps': Trudeau

Hamas hostage deal 'progress' but long-term peace needs 'many more steps': Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is still rejecting demands for Canada to call for a full ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war, but he says a deal to temporarily halt hostilities this week so Hamas can release hostages represents progress. Trudeau says the world needs a lasting peace in the region, including a two-state solution.  

Hamas hostage deal 'progress' but long-term peace needs 'many more steps': Trudeau

Richmond man faces multiple charges in $10M cryptocurrency home invasion theft

Richmond man faces multiple charges in $10M cryptocurrency home invasion theft
Richmond RCMP say the "lengthy and complex investigation" began after thieves impersonating police officers broke into a home and tied up a middle-aged couple, assaulting them and confining them for hours. Mounties say the armed suspects made off with $10 million in unspecified cryptocurrency and luxury goods, leaving the "badly shaken up" victims with non-life-threatening injuries.

Richmond man faces multiple charges in $10M cryptocurrency home invasion theft

B.C. energy minister's dropped memo ends up in hands of Opposition BC United

B.C. energy minister's dropped memo ends up in hands of Opposition BC United
Energy Minister Josie Osborne admitted she is the author of the memo which the BC United party says shows the New Democrat government "panicking" about growing opposition to the provincial carbon tax. Osborne says the memo is a copy of notes she made Wednesday about possible ideas for the government's February budget following discussions she had with an adviser who she refuses to name.  

B.C. energy minister's dropped memo ends up in hands of Opposition BC United

B.C. Director of Civil Forfeiture claims 10 properties owned by alleged drug dealer

B.C. Director of Civil Forfeiture claims 10 properties owned by alleged drug dealer
The B.C. government wants 10 properties in Prince George forfeited for their alleged use in a years-long drug trafficking operation. The province's Director of Civil Forfeiture claims in a lawsuit filed in B.C. Supreme Court that properties owned by Daniel Prediger should be handed over to the government because of their use in "unlawful activity." 

B.C. Director of Civil Forfeiture claims 10 properties owned by alleged drug dealer

Surrey business targeted in shooting

Surrey business targeted in shooting
Mounties in Surrey say a store was hit by gunfire on Thursday, the second time this week within the same business complex on 81st Ave and 128 Street. Police say officers found evidence of a shooting, but no one was injured and the business was closed at that time.

Surrey business targeted in shooting

Mayor says release of child sex offender Brian Abrosimo in Surrey is 'outrageous'

Mayor says release of child sex offender Brian Abrosimo in Surrey is 'outrageous'
Surrey’s mayor says it’s "outrageous" that a sex offender who abducted and assaulted an 11-year-old girl in 2004 has been released in the city, which she says has more children per capita than anywhere in British Columbia. Surrey RCMP issued a public warning about Brian Abrosimo, 61, who they say is at high risk to reoffend after his release from prison on Thursday.

Mayor says release of child sex offender Brian Abrosimo in Surrey is 'outrageous'