Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Efforts underway to stabilize slope threatening two dozen Penticton homes.

Efforts underway to stabilize slope threatening two dozen Penticton homes.
Residents of a mobile home park in Penticton must wait another day to learn when they might be allowed to return to their homes. Twenty-five units in the Pleasant Valley Mobile Home Park were ordered evacuated Tuesday and a state of local emergency was declared when city officials spotted a large and potentially unstable boulder on the hillside above the south Okanagan homes.

Efforts underway to stabilize slope threatening two dozen Penticton homes.

RCMP helicopter rescues man after truck stuck in snow west of Kelowna

RCMP helicopter rescues man after truck stuck in snow west of Kelowna
A man whose truck got stuck in the snow west of Kelowna, B.C., needed to be rescued by an RCMP helicopter. Rescuers say the man was unharmed but the situation could have ended much worse and they are warning of a growing trend of drivers relying on online maps to navigate forest service roads.

RCMP helicopter rescues man after truck stuck in snow west of Kelowna

Abbotsford businesses being targeted by extortionists

Abbotsford businesses being targeted by extortionists
Police in Abbotsford say businesses in the city are being targeted by extortionists. The Abbotsford Police Department says multiple businesses have received letters seeking protection money to stave off potential violence, but police say the letters have been sent out in a mass mailing to commercial business.

Abbotsford businesses being targeted by extortionists

Police investigating armed robbery in Surrey

Police investigating armed robbery in Surrey
Surrey RCMP is seeking information following an armed robbery that occurred at a Newton business Wednesday morning. On Wednesday, at approximately 11:08 a.m. Surrey RCMP received the report of an armed robbery at a business located in the 8100-block of 128 Street. One person sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to hospital.

Police investigating armed robbery in Surrey

Prabhraj Rai charged with fraud over $5K

Prabhraj Rai charged with fraud over $5K
Surrey R-C-M-P say their financial crimes unit investigated the alleged fraud spanning from 2015 to 2021 after a victim came forward claiming they lost millions of dollars in real estate investment opportunities.  Police say Raj allegedly committed large-scale financial fraud and was arrested and charged with fraud over five-thousand dollars. 

Prabhraj Rai charged with fraud over $5K

Phone left at New Westminster skytrain had pornographic images, man now facing charges

Phone left at New Westminster skytrain had pornographic images, man now facing charges
A 61-year-old man who accidentally left his cellphone at a New Westminster SkyTrain station is now facing child porn charges. A statement from the Transit Police says pornography was found on the phone when it was searched for contact information, so it could be returned.

Phone left at New Westminster skytrain had pornographic images, man now facing charges