Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's high court to rule if bankruptcy wipes out court-ordered fines in B.C. case

Canada's high court to rule if bankruptcy wipes out court-ordered fines in B.C. case
The Supreme Court of Canada has set a December date to hear an appeal from a British Columbia couple who argue their declaration of bankruptcy should wipe out millions of dollars in court-ordered fines owed to provincial securities authorities. The case of Thalbinder Singh Poonian and Shailu Poonian has been scheduled for Dec. 6 after Canada's highest court granted leave to appeal earlier this year.

Canada's high court to rule if bankruptcy wipes out court-ordered fines in B.C. case

City of Penticton lifts evacuation order for homes threatened by precarious rock

City of Penticton lifts evacuation order for homes threatened by precarious rock
Kristen Dixon, director of Penticton's Emergency Operations Centre, says the wall provides a "buffer" as crews work to secure the rock, which was discovered earlier this week with a large crack, leading to fears it would break off and damage nearby homes. The city says crews are set to begin stabilizing the rock, but the work could take several weeks to finish. 

City of Penticton lifts evacuation order for homes threatened by precarious rock

B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley stays in custody after skipping court date

B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley stays in custody after skipping court date
A high-risk sex offender arrested by Vancouver police after a 10-day manhunt earlier this month remains in custody awaiting his next court date. Randall Hopley was to appear in court on Friday, but his case was put off until Dec. 8 in British Columbia provincial court. 

B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley stays in custody after skipping court date

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education
The latest labour market survey for British Columbia says 75 per cent of the one million jobs needed over the next decade will require some level of post-secondary education or training.  The survey says about 650,000 of the openings will be to replace those leaving the workforce, while the rest will be created through economic growth. 

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski
Hear from SPS Chief Constable Norm Lipinski on policing, public safety, and policing plans for Surrey in 2024. 

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments
The Opposition leader presented what he called "common sense Conservative measures" during a news conference at a Toronto synagogue, which would include re-evaluating Canada's terrorism threat level and creating an anti-hate network for faith communities. Jewish Canadians have reported a sharp rise in antisemitism and violence against synagogues and schools since Hamas militants killed 1,200 people, including hundreds of civilians, in Israel on Oct. 7.  

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments