Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12
Parents of a 12-year-old boy who killed himself last month after falling prey to online sextortion are urging others to talk to their kids to make sure they don't also become victims of internet "predators." Mounties in Prince George issued a statement Monday, more than six weeks after the boy died, to warn parents about the risks youth face on the internet. 

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit
Reidar Mogerman, a lawyer for the B.C. government, told Justice Michael Brundrett on Monday the court should approve a class made of governments saddled with health-care costs related to the opioid crisis that has killed or injured thousands of Canadians.   

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates
The police watchdog is investigating a B.C. highway chase involving a tractor flying a protest banner against sexual orientation and gender identity programs in schools, something the province's attorney general called a "fringe" and "hateful" issue inflamed by the B.C. Conservatives. Surrey police said Sunday that one person was taken into custody after the tractor crashed with a cruiser and rolled on Highway 1.

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates

One person in police custody after tractor rolls over on Highway 1 in Surrey

One person in police custody after tractor rolls over on Highway 1 in Surrey
One person is in police custody after a tractor rolled over on Surrey's Highway 1. BC Highway Patrol members encountered a person driving a tractor on Highway 1 at approximately 12:35pm on Saturday.  

One person in police custody after tractor rolls over on Highway 1 in Surrey

Avian flu detected at 2 Abbotsford farms

Avian flu detected at 2 Abbotsford farms
Avian flu has been identified at two more commercial poultry farms in Abbotsford. Figures from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency show there have been 44 B-C outbreaks of avian flu since October 20th.

Avian flu detected at 2 Abbotsford farms

Rogers Sugar seeks mediation to end strike

Rogers Sugar seeks mediation to end strike
A statement from the company says it has applied to the BC Labour Relations Board in the hope that mediation can break the impasse in the contract talks. One-hundred-and-38 members of the Public and Private Workers of Canada Local 8 have been off the job since September 28th -- and Rogers Sugar says the union has agreed to the mediation application.

Rogers Sugar seeks mediation to end strike