Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Pilot dies in small plane crash in B.C.'s East Kootenay region, RCMP say

Pilot dies in small plane crash in B.C.'s East Kootenay region, RCMP say
RCMP say the pilot of a plane is dead after it crashed in British Columbia's East Kootenay region on Friday. Columbia Valley RCMP say in a news release that they received a report of a small plane crashing on the Bugaboo side of the valley on Friday afternoon.   

Pilot dies in small plane crash in B.C.'s East Kootenay region, RCMP say

Two teens dead in Quesnel crash

Two teens dead in Quesnel crash
Two 17-year-olds have died in a crash 13 kilometres east of Quesnel. A statement from Quesnel R-C-M-P say the youths -- a male and female --died early Sunday morning.

Two teens dead in Quesnel crash

Video of dog mauling small goat prompts investigation in Merritt:RCMP

Video of dog mauling small goat prompts investigation in Merritt:RCMP
Police in British Columbia's southern Interior hope they can find the original owner of a small white goat that was fatally mauled by a dog. A statement from Merritt RCMP says an investigation began Nov. 24, when officers were alerted to an online post showing a pit bull in a house, violently attacking the goat as several people watched.

Video of dog mauling small goat prompts investigation in Merritt:RCMP

Post linking Poilievre, Winnipeg shootings 'inappropriate,' says Liberal House leader

Post linking Poilievre, Winnipeg shootings 'inappropriate,' says Liberal House leader
Government House leader Karina Gould says it was inappropriate for one of her Liberal caucus colleagues to ask whether there is a link between Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre and a fatal shooting in Manitoba. But Metro Vancouver Liberal MP Ken Hardie told The Canadian Press that he stands by his social media post and is not sorry he made it.

Post linking Poilievre, Winnipeg shootings 'inappropriate,' says Liberal House leader

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition
Two First Nations sisters are among four people who died in a shooting over the weekend in downtown Winnipeg. Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday to a home where they found five people wounded. A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and another man and woman died later in hospital. A 55-year-old man remains in hospital in critical condition. 

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall
Members of the public attending council meetings and other public events at Vancouver City Hall will now go through an enhanced security screening process. The city says in a statement that the change is responding to the evolving security environment and following in the footsteps of other Canadian cities that have adopted similar security measures.

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall