Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

El Niño brings a warm start to winter, but that could change: Weather Network

El Niño brings a warm start to winter, but that could change: Weather Network
The Weather Network predicts El Niño conditions will lead to above-average temperatures and lower-than-normal precipitation levels in much of the country, particularly in Western and Central Canada. While that trend is expected to hold throughout the winter in British Columbia and the Prairie provinces, the network said areas further east may see more variable conditions as the season progresses.

El Niño brings a warm start to winter, but that could change: Weather Network

Respondents to Bank of Canada questionnaire largely oppose creating a digital loonie

Respondents to Bank of Canada questionnaire largely oppose creating a digital loonie
The Bank of Canada’s public consultations on the creation of a digital Canadian dollar reveal most respondents are opposed to it. The central bank released its findings Wednesday that show more than 80 per cent of respondents strongly opposed the Bank of Canada researching and building the capability to issue a digital dollar.    

Respondents to Bank of Canada questionnaire largely oppose creating a digital loonie

Three in four Canadians say higher immigration is worsening housing crisis: poll

Three in four Canadians say higher immigration is worsening housing crisis: poll
A large majority of Canadians agree that higher immigration is fuelling the housing crisis and putting pressure on the health-care system, a new Leger poll suggests. New federal voting intention numbers from the polling firm also show that the Conservatives are maintaining their sizable lead over the governing Liberals.

Three in four Canadians say higher immigration is worsening housing crisis: poll

Ottawa reaches deal with Google over controversial Online News Act

Ottawa reaches deal with Google over controversial Online News Act
The federal Liberal government has reached a deal with Google over the Online News Act, following threats from the digital giant that it would remove news from its search platform in Canada. A government official confirmed that news to The Canadian Press under condition of anonymity, because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the deal.

Ottawa reaches deal with Google over controversial Online News Act

Thick fog blankets Metro Vancouver

Thick fog blankets Metro Vancouver
Environment Canada says thick fog is leading to near-zero visibility throughout the Metro Vancouver area. A blanket of fog has hung over the Lower Mainland since Sunday.   

Thick fog blankets Metro Vancouver

B.C. growth forecast drops to one per cent for 2023, but deficit projection improves

B.C. growth forecast drops to one per cent for 2023, but deficit projection improves
British Columbia's economy is forecast to grow one per cent in 2023, a drop from the 1.2 per cent predicted earlier by the Ministry of Finance. The ministry's second quarterly report also forecasts slower economic growth for next year of 0.7 per cent.

B.C. growth forecast drops to one per cent for 2023, but deficit projection improves