Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers
The B.C. government is introducing new protections for ride-hailing and food delivery app workers including a minimum wage, compensation for expenses and other standards. A minimum hourly wage of $20.10 — which is $3.35 more than the current general minimum wage — would apply for a gig worker's "engaged time," beginning when they accept an assignment to the time of completion.

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition
Mike Farnworth, minister of public safety and solicitor general, says all members of the Surrey Police Board have been suspended and he's appointed former Abbotsford chief constable Mike Serr to take over all their duties. Farnworth says he acted because of a “lack of progress” from the City of Surrey in the transition to the Surrey Police Service. 

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery
Burnaby R-C-M-P are hoping the public can help them identify a suspect wanted for a brazen robbery that happened almost two months ago. Police say a man was sitting in his vehicle at about 1:30 a.m., on September 27th when the suspect opened the car door, assaulted him and stole 33-hundred dollars.

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery

Road closures in effect in Surrey

Road closures in effect in Surrey
Surrey RCMP is advising the public of road closures following a serious collision involving a pedestrian on Fraser Highway. On Thursday, at approximately 8:15 a.m. police responded to the report of a youth struck by a vehicle in the 19400-block of Fraser Highway. The pedestrian has been transported to hospital with serious injuries.

Road closures in effect in Surrey

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario
The trial has heard that Veltman hit the Afzaal family with his truck while they were out for a walk on a summer evening. 46 year old Salman Afzaal; his 44-year-old wife, Madiha Salman; their 15-year-old daughter, Yumna; and her 74-year-old grandmother, Talat Afzaal, were killed in the attack, while the couple's nine-year-old son was seriously hurt but survived.

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario

No Canadians on updated exit list for the Rafah border crossing, hundreds still stuck

No Canadians on updated exit list for the Rafah border crossing, hundreds still stuck
Global Affairs Canada said Wednesday that a total of 367 Canadian citizens, permanent residents and family members have been able to get out, including nine people who left without the Canadian government's help. Two more people were able to travel to Egypt via the Rafah border crossing on Wednesday, and 10 made the trip on Monday.   

No Canadians on updated exit list for the Rafah border crossing, hundreds still stuck