Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

YVR gets a 3.5M dollar investment

YVR gets a 3.5M dollar investment
The Vancouver International Airport says a 3.5-million-dollar investment by the federal and provincial governments will go towards improving the main terminal's building performance and to reduce its overall emissions.

YVR gets a 3.5M dollar investment

Rise in grandparents scam in Abbotsford

Rise in grandparents scam in Abbotsford
Police in Abbotsford are warning the public of a rise in the so-called "grandparents scam." Authorities say fraudsters posing as lawyers are calling seniors, suggesting a family member is either in jail and needs bail money, or has been in an accident and needs to pay for damages.  

Rise in grandparents scam in Abbotsford

Highways prepared for extreme weather 'new normal,' says B.C. transportation minister

Highways prepared for extreme weather 'new normal,' says B.C. transportation minister
British Columbia's transportation minister says 130 kilometres of highway that was severely damaged by flooding two years ago is now more resilient to extreme weather. Rob Fleming says the stretch of the Coquihalla Highway, or Highway 5, between Hope and Merritt, B.C., is an example of a "new normal" for how infrastructure needs to be built.

Highways prepared for extreme weather 'new normal,' says B.C. transportation minister

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, as Freeland calls situation 'heartbreaking'

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, as Freeland calls situation 'heartbreaking'
Two more people with ties to Canada left the Gaza Strip for Egypt today, as hundreds seek to flee a worsening humanitarian situation in the besieged Palestinian territory. Global Affairs Canada says it has helped 358 Canadian citizens, permanent residents and their relatives exit the war-torn territory, while another nine have managed to get out through other means.

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, as Freeland calls situation 'heartbreaking'

Notorious clubhouse owned by Nanaimo, B.C., Hells Angels being demolished: Farnworth

Notorious clubhouse owned by Nanaimo, B.C., Hells Angels being demolished: Farnworth
A clubhouse that once belonged to a Vancouver Island chapter of the Hells Angels is being demolished, just weeks after a court ruling confirmed the B.C. government has the right to seize the property. Mike Farnworth, minister of public safety and solicitor general, says in a statement that the clubhouse in Nanaimo is coming down immediately.

Notorious clubhouse owned by Nanaimo, B.C., Hells Angels being demolished: Farnworth

Wreckage of plane discovered near Kamloops

Wreckage of plane discovered near Kamloops
The wreckage of a plane that authorities believe is decades old has been found south of Kamloops, B.C.  The Transportation Safety Board says in a statement that it was made aware of the wreck and investigators have been in contact with Kamloops RCMP. 

Wreckage of plane discovered near Kamloops