Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn
In an appeal decision released last week, the commission says Clarke Matthiesen tried to blame an arsonist for the blaze that investigators say started on his property west of Quesnel, B.C., in the province's interior. 

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge
A lithium-ion battery cell production plant costing more than $1 billion will be built in Maple Ridge. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier David Eby jointly announced Tuesday that the new E-One Moli facility will bolster Canada's role as a global leader in clean technology.  

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge

Brothers, 14 and 18, facing charges after deadly Calgary shooting Calgary

Brothers, 14 and 18, facing charges after deadly Calgary shooting Calgary
Police in Calgary say charges are pending against two brothers following a shooting Monday that killed one man and injured two others. Investigators responded to a call Monday afternoon in a northeast Calgary shopping mall and found the man dead.  

Brothers, 14 and 18, facing charges after deadly Calgary shooting Calgary

Royal Canadian Mint to start replacing image of late queen with King Charles

Royal Canadian Mint to start replacing image of late queen with King Charles
The Royal Canadian Mint will soon begin producing Canadian coins bearing the face of King Charles. On the King's 75th birthday, the Winnipeg-based facility is set to showcase its design of the new British monarch that will appear on one side of all its coins, replacing the image of the late Queen Elizabeth II. 

Royal Canadian Mint to start replacing image of late queen with King Charles

Friends and family mourn the loss of Canadians killed by Hamas in Israel

Friends and family mourn the loss of Canadians killed by Hamas in Israel
Friends, family and government officials have confirmed that at least seven Canadians were killed when Hamas militants conducted a series of attacks in Israel on Oct. 7. Global Affairs Canada has said an eighth person with deep ties to Canada, who was not a citizen, also died.  

Friends and family mourn the loss of Canadians killed by Hamas in Israel

Biden, Xi early headliners as leaders gather in California for Asia-Pacific summit

Biden, Xi early headliners as leaders gather in California for Asia-Pacific summit
Its 21 member economies represent nearly three billion people and 62 per cent of the world's GDP, generating US$30 trillion in global trade last year alone.  But as Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation leaders gather in San Francisco, the focus — for now, at least — will be on just two of them.

Biden, Xi early headliners as leaders gather in California for Asia-Pacific summit