Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Gang member Harpreet Uppal and 11-year-old son intentionally shot and killed in parked vehicle: Edmonton police

Gang member Harpreet Uppal and 11-year-old son intentionally shot and killed in parked vehicle: Edmonton police
Police say a man and his 11-year-old son were intentionally shot and killed in a vehicle in Edmonton on Thursday. They identified the father as 41-year-old Harpreet Uppal, a high-level gang member involved in the drug trade. Police did not identify the boy.

Gang member Harpreet Uppal and 11-year-old son intentionally shot and killed in parked vehicle: Edmonton police

Man charged in Kelowna stabbing

Man charged in Kelowna stabbing
A man has been charged with aggravated assault after allegedly stabbing a woman in an altercation in Kelowna. Police say the incident happened on Wednesday around 7:20 p-m, when officers were called to the intersection of Bernard Avenue and Ethel Street.  

Man charged in Kelowna stabbing

COVID19 activity slumping in BC

COVID19 activity slumping in BC
The sharp uptick in B-C's COVID-19 activity may be waning, according to the latest data from the province's Centre for Disease Control. Numbers show new hospitalizations dropped to 144 in the week ending November 4th, down from 296 three weeks earlier.

COVID19 activity slumping in BC

Heavy rain, wind and snow expected for portions of B.C. over next several days

Heavy rain, wind and snow expected for portions of B.C. over next several days
The agency has issued multiple warnings for Metro Vancouver, saying 50 to 70 millimetres of rain is expected to hit the Fraser Valley and the Northshore and northeast regions beginning tonight. Forecasters say the rain should taper off over parts of Metro Vancouver on Saturday morning but persist in the Fraser Valley until the evening.  

Heavy rain, wind and snow expected for portions of B.C. over next several days

Canada investigating 'threats' to Air India, say transport minister and RCMP

Canada investigating 'threats' to Air India, say transport minister and RCMP
Canada's transport minister and the RCMP say an investigation is underway into what they call "threats" against Air India, after an online video warned people not to fly on the airline on Nov. 19. Pablo Rodriguez says in a social media post that the government takes any threat to aviation "extremely seriously."

Canada investigating 'threats' to Air India, say transport minister and RCMP

Kamloops man sentenced for murder

Kamloops man sentenced for murder
A B-C Supreme Court judge has sentenced a 35-year-old man from Kamloops to four years in prison for fatally stabbing another man outside a city centre motel more than three years ago. A jury had convicted James Sanford of manslaughter for the 2020 killing of a 34-year-old man.

Kamloops man sentenced for murder