Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Charges laid in White Rock man's shooting

Charges laid in White Rock man's shooting
Charges have now been laid in the fatal April 2022 shooting of 33-year-old White Rock resident David Goldstein. At the time of his death, police said the shooting -- at a south Surrey home -- did not appear random, but was not linked to the ongoing Metro Vancouver gang conflict.  

Charges laid in White Rock man's shooting

RCMP say several injured after coach bus rolls over in Saskatchewan

RCMP say several injured after coach bus rolls over in Saskatchewan
Firefighters had to break windows to free people trapped in a coach bus that rolled Wednesday morning in southeast Saskatchewan. Dwayne Stone, the fire chief for the Town of Grenfell, said they were called out to the crash on the Trans-Canada Highway east of Wolseley just after 7 a.m. Roads were extremely slippery after the area was doused by rain then covered in snow. 

RCMP say several injured after coach bus rolls over in Saskatchewan

Legislation to reduce housing starts delays

Legislation to reduce housing starts delays
Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says new legislation introduced today will reduce housing construction delays, delivering more homes for residents sooner.  He says that if Bill 44 is passed, local governments would need to shift their planning process to an "upfront framework." 

Legislation to reduce housing starts delays

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died
Dr. Tracy Pickett, a specialist in emergency and clinical forensic medicine who was called as an expert witness by the Crown, had not finished testifying in B.C. Supreme Court when she was found dead on Sept. 28. She had testified about injuries suffered by the 13-year-old girl Ali is accused of killing.  

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years
Provincial court Judge Glenn Lee told the court in Richmond, B.C., that Tim Goerner will still be young when his sentence is done and he can then spread a message to people about the dangers of drinking and driving. The court heard he had been drinking at a party before the high-speed crash that killed Emily Selwood and Evan Smith as they walked down a sidewalk on the university campus in the early morning hours of Sept. 26, 2021.

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police
Hopley, 58, is wanted on a Canada-wide warrant and has a history of convictions for assault, property offences and sexual crimes that include three offences against children. He was declared a long-term offender and handed a six-year prison term for the 2011 abduction of a three-year-old boy from his home in Sparwood in southeastern British Columbia.  

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police