Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD
Police have released new surveillance video of an alleged suspect in an unsolved murder in East Vancouver last year.  They say 37-year-old Zhuowen Gong was fatally stabbed while walking near Renfrew and Graveley streets around 9:45 p-m on November 2nd last year, and police say the motive behind the attack is still unknown.

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening
One of three magic mushroom stores that were raided by Vancouver police this week has already reopened, and the owner says his other two are restocking and will be back in business on Friday. The Vancouver Police Department says it executed search warrants at the stores on Wednesday in an investigation into the sale of illegal psychedelic drugs, with officers seizing "a variety of controlled substances."

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP
R-C-M-P in Surrey say a 34-year-old man has been charged with multiple offences after an investigation that began with a traffic stop last week. The Mounties say two men were arrested after an officer from New Westminster stopped a vehicle that had been driving erratically just after 2 a-m last Thursday.

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses
Vancouver police are looking for witnesses to a serious collision on the city's west side that sent a pedestrian to hospital with life-altering injuries. Police say a 57-year-old woman was at the crosswalk of Arbutus Street and West 33rd Avenue Tuesday afternoon when she was struck by a red Mini Cooper.   

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review
A lawyer for an Alberta man found not criminally responsible for killing five young people at a Calgary house party is asking the province's review board to release him on an absolute discharge. A hearing has heard that Matthew de Grood had several two-week unescorted passes from an Edmonton group home over the last year to visit his parents in Calgary.

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review

Lifetime cost of Canada's F-35 fighter jets is $73.9B: parliamentary budget officer

Lifetime cost of Canada's F-35 fighter jets is $73.9B: parliamentary budget officer
Canada will pay an estimated $73.9 billion to buy, fly and maintain its new fleet of F-35 fighter jets, the parliamentary budget officer said Thursday. Yves Giroux said his independent analysis of the procurement project is "broadly in line" with the government's own estimates from January, which said the cost would be around $70 billion.

Lifetime cost of Canada's F-35 fighter jets is $73.9B: parliamentary budget officer