Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Macklem warned premiers about dangers of putting BoC's independence at risk

Macklem warned premiers about dangers of putting BoC's independence at risk
Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem warned premiers who publicly asked the central bank to not raise interest rates last month that their requests could undermine the institution's independence. The premiers of Ontario, British Columbia and Newfoundland and Labrador wrote to Macklem ahead of the Bank of Canada's Sept. 6 rate decision, outlining concerns about the effects of higher rates on their residents and asking the central bank not to raise its key rate further.

Macklem warned premiers about dangers of putting BoC's independence at risk

Canada's defence minister says Hamas a threat to world, must be 'eliminated'

Canada's defence minister says Hamas a threat to world, must be 'eliminated'
Defence Minister Bill Blair says Hamas is a terrorist organization that is a threat to the whole world and must be "eliminated." Blair also says he has no expectation that Hamas would respect international law, including any agreement on a ceasefire.

Canada's defence minister says Hamas a threat to world, must be 'eliminated'

Grocers called back to Parliament to testify about plans to stabilize prices

Grocers called back to Parliament to testify about plans to stabilize prices
A House of Commons committee is asking the heads of Canada's major grocery chains to appear before MPs and explain their plans to stabilize food prices. The agriculture committee passed an NDP motion on Thursday to invite the grocery executives, or summon them if necessary, to testify about the measures their companies are taking to address food inflation.

Grocers called back to Parliament to testify about plans to stabilize prices

Over 1600 weekend incidents: VPD

Over 1600 weekend incidents: VPD
Vancouver police say officers responded to more than one-thousand-600 incidents over the weekend, fuelled in part by multiple demonstrations across the city. Sergeant Steve Addison says recent geopolitical events have driven the protests, and police will continue to deploy extra officers to manage the situations as they arise.  

Over 1600 weekend incidents: VPD

Pedestrian death in Kelowna

Pedestrian death in Kelowna
Mounties are investigating the death of a pedestrian who was struck by a vehicle in Kelowna's Rutland neighbourhood over the weekend. Police say they believe the death on Saturday afternoon is related to an earlier event where officers responded to a complaint of a group of teens using bear spray on people. 

Pedestrian death in Kelowna

B.C. Premier Eby says Surrey must talk with province about police transition costs

B.C. Premier Eby says Surrey must talk with province about police transition costs
B.C. Premier David Eby says it's time for the City of Surrey and the province to talk about the extra money the city says it needs to replace the RCMP with a local police force.  Eby says the provincial government's $150-million contribution to cover transition costs remains on the table, but there will be no more.   

B.C. Premier Eby says Surrey must talk with province about police transition costs