Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. helicopter lands safely after being hit by lightning, Helijet says

B.C. helicopter lands safely after being hit by lightning, Helijet says
A commercial helicopter with 14 people on board landed safely in Victoria on Tuesday after it was hit by lightning. Rick Hill, the vice-president of Helijet, said the aircraft was at about 1,200 metres when it was hit by lightning, the two pilots on board took the chopper down to below the clouds and then landed without trouble in Victoria a few minutes later. 

B.C. helicopter lands safely after being hit by lightning, Helijet says

84 year old struck in New Westminster

84 year old struck in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are looking for witnesses and dash-cam video after a hit-and-run left an 84-year-old man with serious injuries. Police say officers found the man who had been hit by a driver in the parking lot of a gas station at the intersection of Sixth Avenue and Eighth Street around 8 p-m Monday night.

84 year old struck in New Westminster

India resuming some visa services at high commission, consulates in Canada

India resuming some visa services at high commission, consulates in Canada
India's high commission in Canada said on Wednesday that the country's officials will resume processing some types of visa applications in Ottawa and at consulates in Toronto and Vancouver. The decision came a month after New Delhi suspended the services in Canada and for Canadian citizens worldwide.

India resuming some visa services at high commission, consulates in Canada

BOC keeping interest rate at 5%

BOC keeping interest rate at 5%
The Bank of Canada is keeping its key interest rate at five per cent, saying there are clearer signs that monetary policy is moderating spending and relieving price pressures. But it hasn't ruled out future rate hikes as those pressures remain high.

BOC keeping interest rate at 5%

BC United calls premier 'condo king' over his property sale; Eby says 'nonsense'

BC United calls premier 'condo king' over his property sale; Eby says 'nonsense'
The sale of Premier David Eby's condominium in Victoria has become embroiled in the debate over the New Democrat government's proposed law on short-term rental accommodations. The Opposition BC United accused Eby on Tuesday of largely profiting from the sale of his condominium in 2019 because it was in a building complex that did not have rental restrictions.

BC United calls premier 'condo king' over his property sale; Eby says 'nonsense'

Boat capsizes, 61 year old dead

Boat capsizes, 61 year old dead
RCMP say a 61-year-old man was alone when the tugboat he was piloting capsized off Vancouver.  Mounties say they received a report of a body washing ashore on Tower Beach on Monday afternoon on the U-B-C endowment lands. 

Boat capsizes, 61 year old dead