Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Sikh activists in B.C. emboldened by Trudeau's comments on India ahead of referendum

Sikh activists in B.C. emboldened by Trudeau's comments on India ahead of referendum
Canada's allegations about India's links to the killing of activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar have significantly bolstered vocal support for the movement calling for an independent Sikh state, said organizers of an upcoming referendum. The group Sikhs For Justice is scheduled to hold a second round of voting for its unofficial referendum on Khalistan — referring to an independent Sikh state in India — on Sunday at the gurdwara in Surrey, B.C., where Nijjar was shot on June 18.

Sikh activists in B.C. emboldened by Trudeau's comments on India ahead of referendum

Guilty plea in New Westminster shooting

Guilty plea in New Westminster shooting
Police in New Westminster say one of the suspects charged in relation to a January 2022 shooting at a city residence has pleaded guilty at his trial.  They say Justin Crowchild has been handed a 729-day sentence for discharging a firearm and a six-month sentence for possession of a firearm.

Guilty plea in New Westminster shooting

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire
Coquitlam Mounties are appealing for more information about the suspicious fire that destroyed the Hazel Trembath Elementary school earlier this month. Corporal Alexa Hodgins says investigators have collected 200 hours of surveillance video, conducted hundreds of witness statements and followed up on numerous tips from the community, but police still need more tips to push the investigation forward.

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer
A former drug dealer has been sentenced to 18 months in jail for manslaughter in the overdose death of 14-year-old Carson Crimeni in 2019.  The B-C Supreme Court heard that other youth posted video of the boy’s distress on social media before he died. 

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes
Colleges and universities that issue acceptance letters to international students will have to confirm all of them with the federal immigration department as Canada moves to crack down on fraud. Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced the new rules Friday following an investigation this summer into more than 100 cases involving fake admission letters.

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police
Investigators have determined that a body found at the scene of an explosion in Langley, B.C., was not murder. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says in a statement that police came to the conclusion along with the BC Coroners Service, although it didn't explain why.

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police