Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known
The province says investigators now know the identity of the truck driver who hit a North Vancouver overpass last month. It says the driver abandoned their vehicle after the accident.  

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam
Coquitlam RCMP say a man was arrested for allegedly driving his vehicle through the scene of a fatal collision. Police say a passenger in one of the vehicles involved in the October 19th collision has since died of their injuries and a driver remains in hospital.  

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam

Guilty plea in UBC crash

Guilty plea in UBC crash
A Vancouver man accused in the dangerous driving deaths of two University of British Columbia students has pleaded guilty. The B-C Prosecution Service says 23-year-old Tim Goerner pleaded guilty to two counts of dangerous driving causing death earlier this month.  

Guilty plea in UBC crash

Indo-Canadian man fined $20K for immigration fraud

Indo-Canadian man fined $20K for immigration fraud
An Indian-origin man has been fined $20,000 for his role in a scheme that charged newcomers tens of thousands for permits to work in the Canadian province of Manitoba. Avtar Singh Sohi, 42, pleaded guilty on Monday to misrepresentation under the Canada Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. 

Indo-Canadian man fined $20K for immigration fraud

Two men charged after blind, non-verbal woman abducted in stolen van in Edmonton

Two men charged after blind, non-verbal woman abducted in stolen van in Edmonton
Two men are facing charges after a van was stolen in Edmonton with a 40-year-old woman inside who is blind and non-verbal. Edmonton police issued an Amber Alert on Thursday for the woman.  

Two men charged after blind, non-verbal woman abducted in stolen van in Edmonton

Home sales to dip in BC over the next year

Home sales to dip in BC over the next year
The B-C Real Estate Association says "the anchor that is (Canada's) monetary policy" will continue to weigh down home sales in this province over the next year. The association has released its fourth-quarter housing forecast showing residential sales are expected to dip nearly five per cent to just under 77-thousand units this year.

Home sales to dip in BC over the next year