Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

China: Detained Canadian Does Not Have Diplomatic Immunity

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jan, 2019 09:14 PM

    BEIJING — A former Canadian diplomat detained in China last month does not enjoy diplomatic immunity, a Chinese spokeswoman said Monday, rejecting a complaint from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the man's rights were being denied.


    Trudeau said last week that Chinese officials were not respecting the diplomatic immunity of Michael Kovrig.


    He was arrested along with Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor on vague national security allegations after a top Chinese executive with telecommunications network equipment giant Huawei was detained in Canada on Dec. 1 at the request of Washington.


    However, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters Monday that Kovrig is no longer a diplomat and entered China on an ordinary passport and business visa.


    "According to the Vienna Convention of Diplomatic Relations and international law, he is not entitled to diplomatic immunity," Hua said at a daily briefing.


    Kovrig, a Northeast Asia analyst for the International Crisis Group think-tank , took a leave of absence from the Canadian government.


    Washington wants Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou — the daughter of the company's founder — extradited to face charges that she misled banks about the company's business dealings in Iran. She is out on bail in Canada and awaiting a bail extradition proceeding next month.


    China's ambassador to Canada accused the country last week of "white supremacy" in calling for the release of the two Canadians, while describing the detentions as an "act of self-defence."


    However, Hua said the allegation that China arbitrarily detained Canadian citizens is "totally groundless."


    On Friday, Poland arrested a Huawei director and one of its own former cybersecurity experts and charged them with spying for China. That comes amid a U.S. campaign to exert pressure on its allies not to use Huawei, the world's biggest maker of telecommunications network equipment, over data security concerns.


    Poland's move has raised concerns over the safety of its nationals in China, although Hua appeared to brush off such worries, emphasizing China's desire for the "sound and steady" development of relations with Poland.


    "As long as the foreign citizens in China abide by Chinese laws and regulations, they are welcomed and their safety and freedom are guaranteed," Hua said.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Supreme Court To Hear Questions In Case Of Woman's Death After Rough Sex

    Supreme Court To Hear Questions In Case Of Woman's Death After Rough Sex
      OTTAWA — The case of an Ontario trucker acquitted in the death of an Alberta woman referred to at trial as a "native" and a "prostitute" is to go before the Supreme Court this week in what could set a precedent in Canada's sexual assault laws.

    Supreme Court To Hear Questions In Case Of Woman's Death After Rough Sex

    Ontario Student Leaves N.S. University After Alleged Rapist Returns To Campus

    Ontario Student Leaves N.S. University After Alleged Rapist Returns To Campus
    She was an 18-year-old freshman from the Toronto area studying at St. Francis Xavier University, a small-town Nova Scotia school with red brick buildings, green sports fields and a lively school spirit.

    Ontario Student Leaves N.S. University After Alleged Rapist Returns To Campus

    Fire, Smoke Fill Saint John Sky After Oil Refinery Blast: 'My Whole House Shook'

    Fire, Smoke Fill Saint John Sky After Oil Refinery Blast: 'My Whole House Shook'
     A massive oil refinery blast shook this historic port city Monday, sending flames and black smoke high into the sky but causing only four minor injuries — and leaving officials relieved it wasn't far worse. 

    Fire, Smoke Fill Saint John Sky After Oil Refinery Blast: 'My Whole House Shook'

    'What Are You Afraid Of?': Quebec Teachers Decry Proposed Religious Symbol Ban

    'What Are You Afraid Of?': Quebec Teachers Decry Proposed Religious Symbol Ban
    Kaur, a Sikh woman working on a Bachelor of Education degree, is one of many Quebecers who could see her career choices limited if the province's newly elected government goes through with a promise to ban certain state employees from wearing religious symbols in the workplace.

    'What Are You Afraid Of?': Quebec Teachers Decry Proposed Religious Symbol Ban

    Montreal Protesters March To Protest Racism, Denounce New Government

    Montreal Protesters March To Protest Racism, Denounce New Government
    MONTREAL — A diverse crowd of protesters took to the streets of Montreal on Sunday to march against racism and denounce the newly-elected Coalition Avenir Quebec government.

    Montreal Protesters March To Protest Racism, Denounce New Government

    Three People Killed In Second Deadly Southern Ont. Crash In 24 Hours

    ROCKWOOD, Ont. — Two adults and a teenager were killed when a pickup truck collided with a car near Guelph, Ont., provincial police said, noting it was the second highway tragedy in southern Ontario in less than 24 hours.

    Three People Killed In Second Deadly Southern Ont. Crash In 24 Hours